69 Camaro no tail lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Chris

Unhappy 69 Camaro no tail lights

I have a 69 that looks to have been rewired with a Painless wiring kit or some other, I'm not sure. The issue is that the tail lights and all marker lights won't work. The turn signals and brake lights and headlights work. Dome light works. I have traced for bad connections etc and tried a new headlight switch all with no luck. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 10:12 AM
Kevin

Re: 69 Camaro no tail lights

Check that the ground pigtail in the trunk harness is well attached to the body. it is located near the plug for the gas tank sender and license plate light and attaches to the trunk lock support on the pass side.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Thanks. I've looked at that but I'll take another look to make sure. I know it's going to be something simple.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 12:55 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Check voltage at the socket with parking lights on. If no juice check the connection by the parking brake for juice. If juice at front of connection the there is a problem at the connector or the intermediate harness to the rear. If juice at the rear light sockets then wrong bulbs or worn connections to the base or bottom of the bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Check brown wire for power as Brian suggests.
Could be the connector by the parking brake pedal may be miswired, however, you say the front markers don't light either.
Those would be on their own circuit from the front parking lights, again, brown wire with a good ground connection from the marker lights to radiator support.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 04:55 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

That brings up a point - Marker lights? Everybody seems to have their own idea what that phrase means. So for some clarification even though in this thread I think we are all on the same page... Every vehicle has Headlights, Parking/turn signals up front and out back the same and they double as brake lights as well.

"Markers" in my mind are the license plate light at the rear and in modern times the side running lights at the front and and rear sides of the vehicle. The side lights often are just dead bulbs since they are very hard to get to and replace up front if even illuminated on some vehicles its just a reflector no bulb socket.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
"Markers" in my mind are the license plate light at the rear and in modern times the side running lights at the front and and rear sides of the vehicle.
License plate light is its own entity - been around forever.
Side markers are a Federal mandate for 1968 as a safety issue for recognizing a pass car from the side at night.
Later in the years, 1972/73(?), OEM's started with wrap-around rear light assemblies and front corner turn signal/parking light assemblies meeting the requirement of side illumination.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Chris

Thanks for all the input. Several things to check this weekend.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 11:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Check voltage at the socket with parking lights on. If no juice check the connection by the parking brake for juice. If juice at front of connection the there is a problem at the connector or the intermediate harness to the rear. If juice at the rear light sockets then wrong bulbs or worn connections to the base or bottom of the bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Hi Chris
Like Brian said, get to that Rear Harness disconnect up by the Parking brake.
My link to Pic's for the Connector Disconnect you will be looking for -

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=325033

Back side came from Fisher who built the body, front side from Chevrolet.

This will tell you if your problem is towards the front or Rear.

You are looking for a 20 Gauge Brown wire for the Park Lamps/ Side Marker/ Marker (Plate) light and Tail Lights, they are all on the same Circuit which is also called the "running Lights" or "Marker Lights"

Use an External Jumper Wire for a Good Ground at the Rear just to make sure even though you wrote Brake and Turn work.
And check to make sure you have the right Bulb's installed 1157 for the Stop/ Tail light.

Timmy

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode