engine harness, alternator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage
engine harness, alternator

I am trying to buy the right front light harness for my 67 camaro STD 8cyl with warning lights. The only snag is my alternator is on the passenger side, the harness from classic industries is for Alternators on the drivers side and will not reach to the passenger side.
I found a harness at "Classic Parts.com", and it list a Std version with warning lights, a std version with warning lights with drivers side internal regulated alternator, and one with passenger side internal regulated alternator.
This terminology confused me, how do I find out if my alternator is internal regulated??
The connections on the STD version has the correct plugs.
I have a double plastic plug, and one with the rubber boot and circular washer connector.
Can anybody help me.
The alternator is from AC Delco..has these numbers : 19135668 334-2110 06054 on the label, and stamped 00604045
Thanks
Barry

"Kids in backseats dont cause accidents.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..accidents in backseats cause kids!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage
Re: engine harness, alternator

So, Upon researching the web, it appears that I have an external regulated alternator, since i have a voltage regulator mounted on the radiator support, and I have the three wire with the plug blades going l l , instead of --.
Now the question is does anyone know where I can find a harness with long enough wiring to connect to the passenger side alternator, or do I have to splice the wires and extend them
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
Al

You want a "Front Light Harness", not an engine harness.

American Auto Wire makes what you want but for an internally regulated 10si or 12si alternator. A 10si or 12si is a good upgrade, essentially a bolt in, and not terribly expensive - unless you are concerned with originality. http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...ess-altpi-4955

They would probably make exactly what you want if you want to keep your ext regulated alt, but the internally regulated alternators are just plain better.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage
So anyways, I guess if I don't want to change my alternator I would have to splice and extend my alternator wires. Good idea, bad idea, any other suggestions
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J View Post
So anyways, I guess if I don't want to change my alternator I would have to splice and extend my alternator wires. Good idea, bad idea, any other suggestions
Here's an OE replacement from Camaro Central...check the link
http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_Fr...g_p/wir-81.htm

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 15, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage

Yes, thank you the link, that is what I have sitting in my garage, the only problem is the alternator wires are not long enough to reach. My alternator is set up on the passenger side (1969 style). The harness is made for the alternator to be on the drivers side.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 15, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J View Post
Yes, thank you the link, that is what I have sitting in my garage, the only problem is the alternator wires are not long enough to reach. My alternator is set up on the passenger side (1969 style). The harness is made for the alternator to be on the drivers side.
If I'm reading this correctly...you have the alternator which you want to keep...you have the new wiring harness for a drivers side alternator mount. The easiest thing to do, from my perspective, is to get the drivers side alternator bracket and proper fan belt, and move the alternators physical location. Install the new harness in your possession and you should be good to go!

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 15, 06:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

He'll also need to change his water pump but that's the route I'd go. I suspect if you call AAW they can also make a harness for what he wants.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 15, 07:07 AM
John

Garage

Just extend the wires. Same gauge wire, solder and heat shrink
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 10:47 AM
Skyler

These guys have custom harnesses, as well as premade ones that should fit what you want to do. Also, I'd highly recommend that you don't solder, and use crimp connectors. Solder is brittle for automotive applications, and will cause a lot of headaches down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode