Distributor height MSD vs. Gm OE. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Unhappy Distributor height MSD vs. Gm OE.

Is there a difference? I'm using a MSD 8360 dist. I have had an intermittent miss in the engine since last fall. (The motor has run fine for 8 years) I have an RPM Air-Gap with a Holley 4150 on top of Vortec heads. I'm using the cowl induction air cleaner setup. The air cleaner base is real close the dist. cap and the metal ring for the cowl seal presses down on the plug wires coming out of the cap. If I use even the smallest spacer ring for the cowl seal the hood won't close.

I wonder if the combination of parts I'm using is enough different from stock that it is causing my problem. The plug wires were new 5K miles ago. When I use the open element setup there is no clearance issue and I have no miss.

My thinking is that an original dist. with the window cap may not stick up as high as the MSD 8360. I don't have an original dist. to measure.

Suggestions would be helpful, Thanks Dave

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Re: Distributor height MSD vs. Gm OE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post
Is there a difference? I'm using a MSD 8360 dist. I have had an intermittent miss in the engine since last fall. (The motor has run fine for 8 years) I have an RPM Air-Gap with a Holley 4150 on top of Vortec heads. I'm using the cowl induction air cleaner setup. The air cleaner base is real close the dist. cap and the metal ring for the cowl seal presses down on the plug wires coming out of the cap. If I use even the smallest spacer ring for the cowl seal the hood won't close.

I wonder if the combination of parts I'm using is enough different from stock that it is causing my problem. The plug wires were new 5K miles ago. When I use the open element setup there is no clearance issue and I have no miss.

My thinking is that an original dist. with the window cap may not stick up as high as the MSD 8360. I don't have an original dist. to measure.

Suggestions would be helpful, Thanks Dave
Dave...I have the same problem. Cowl hood, Holley double pumper and GM HEI dizzy so I have to use the open air cleaner setup. Everything is so close with the HEI cap, so, the cowl induction setup is not an option. The smaller OE dizzy is definitely much lower and smaller in diameter, therefore, clearance is not an issue.

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I have an old points dist sitting here - it is ~3" from the machined rim where the cap sits to the top of the intake manifold including gasket thickness, if that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Hey Guys, call MSD to see if the Crab Style Cap will fit the MSD 8360 or what ever model your distributor is. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8017/overview/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode