No spark with points ignition or HEI - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 5
No spark with points ignition or HEI

Trying to fire an old 350 on a 1971 Camaro. Turn it over but there appears to be no spark.

Instead of fussing with it, I throw my HEI junkyard find on it.

Still no spark. Both were getting 12v(checked)--original distributor from its original wires, HEI from a fused ign plug at the fusebox--, and appear to have no obvious mechanical malady I could visibly see. I also doubt that two ignition systems are doing the same thing.

I have simply taken plug wires off of running cars before and you can see/hear the arc just holding with a glove. So that's what I am doing now....I hear no arcing.

What have I got wrong?

Thank you very much.
Trans Åm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 11:21 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian
 
69-Pace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 12,509
Garage
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Bad coil?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
69-Pace is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Virginia/Mass
Posts: 3,007
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Have you verified the dizzys are spinning?

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
HawkX66 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron
 
thecamaroguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 105
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Make sure you have Power to the coil during startup.

I just did this yesterday, had power when On, but not when trying to start. Changed the wire to the corrected source and then had fire!

The simple things always bite me.

Ron

Camaros I've owned/own:
1982 Camaro (Sold)
1984 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1986 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1989 Camaro IROC Z (Sold)
1994 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1967 Camaro 406 SBC/200R4 (Rebuilding)
2010 Camaro RS/SS (Daily Driver)
thecamaroguy is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 5
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Bad coil?
Checked the coil of the points system and it was good, but didn't check HEI coil. Will do, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc View Post
Have you verified the dizzys are spinning?
Yes, both are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroguy View Post
Make sure you have Power to the coil during startup.

I just did this yesterday, had power when On, but not when trying to start. Changed the wire to the corrected source and then had fire!

The simple things always bite me.
That is actually a great point. Next think on the list.
Trans Åm is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 5
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

RON IS THE WINNER!

Yep, that was exactly it, voltage on "ON", no voltage on "START". I verified spark.
As to why the old system wasn't working...no clue.

But I have a wire gauge problem: You are supposed to run the #10 wire(pink) from the HEI to an ignition activated voltage source that maintains voltage on "START" position.

The fuseblock doesn't appear to give me that option, and I find it foolish to splice the end of my #10 into the #20(as per wiring diagram) supplied by the stock harness.


Odd.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Trans Åm is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 12:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron
 
thecamaroguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 105
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Awesome!

Ron

Camaros I've owned/own:
1982 Camaro (Sold)
1984 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1986 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1989 Camaro IROC Z (Sold)
1994 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1967 Camaro 406 SBC/200R4 (Rebuilding)
2010 Camaro RS/SS (Daily Driver)
thecamaroguy is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Scott
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 2,457
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Åm View Post
RON IS THE WINNER!

Yep, that was exactly it, voltage on "ON", no voltage on "START". I verified spark.
As to why the old system wasn't working...no clue.

But I have a wire gauge problem: You are supposed to run the #10 wire(pink) from the HEI to an ignition activated voltage source that maintains voltage on "START" position.

The fuseblock doesn't appear to give me that option, and I find it foolish to splice the end of my #10 into the #20(as per wiring diagram) supplied by the stock harness.


Odd.

Thanks for the help everyone!
One option for power to the HEI via a #10 wire is to use a relay and wire it so the original wires that went to the positive side of the coil trigger the relay and then just run a #10 from a good source, perhaps even the battery (use a circuit breaker or fuse for this line) to the relay and then from the switched side of the relay to the HEI. You'll have more than enough power this way and won't tax any of the original wiring that is undersized and also won't starve the HEI of the current it needs.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NH69Z28RS is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 5
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
One option for power to the HEI via a #10 wire is to use a relay and wire it so the original wires that went to the positive side of the coil trigger the relay and then just run a #10 from a good source, perhaps even the battery (use a circuit breaker or fuse for this line) to the relay and then from the switched side of the relay to the HEI. You'll have more than enough power this way and won't tax any of the original wiring that is undersized and also won't starve the HEI of the current it needs.
This sounds over my head, and at this moment, I just want the car to run for a couple minutes to get it onto a workable surface.

I may PM you to pick your brain on some things I don't understand when I want to do this more permanently later on, if that's OK with you. This car is keeping HEI, no matter what, and I want it done right.

Thanks again.
Trans Åm is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Scott
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 2,457
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Åm View Post
This sounds over my head, and at this moment, I just want the car to run for a couple minutes to get it onto a workable surface.

I may PM you to pick your brain on some things I don't understand when I want to do this more permanently later on, if that's OK with you. This car is keeping HEI, no matter what, and I want it done right.

Thanks again.
I understand. If/when you want to move on with a more permanent install let me know and we'll get it done for you. If it's just a temporary run you are looking for just get a #10 wire long enough to go from your battery to the HEI and attach some alligator clips on the ends and connect it to the HEI first, battery second when ready to start the engine. When you want to shut the engine off, disconnect from the battery. Your key will only be used to crank the starter.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NH69Z28RS is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule
 
Everett#2390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Va Beach VA
Posts: 31,850
Garage
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Good temp power suggestion by Scott, as HEI did not appear until 1974,
You may hook up the yellow wire from the R terminal on the solenoid for START ign power.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 5
Re: No spark with points ignition or HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Good temp power suggestion by Scott, as HEI did not appear until 1974,
You may hook up the yellow wire from the R terminal on the solenoid for START ign power.
Yes, that is temporarily what I am doing at this point. Thanks for the tip though.
Trans Åm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome