68 Basic Need Wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 15, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

68 Basic Need Wiring

Hey Fellas, I have an appointment at alighnment shop next week and need to drive my car there.

Pretty much about done, except for interior stuff, dash gauges,pad, carpet, door panels and such.

I have new wiring harness up front, engine and lights and new rear wiring harness.

Question is....what do I NEED to hook up to have functional, brake and turn signals as not to get stopped by PO PO or if I get seperated from my chase vehicle someone does not rear end me?

Do I need to install headlight switch on dash? Id there anything I need to complete the circuit to get the lights to work, or should just plugging them in do it?

I'm not a wiring guru so not sure what all needed? All harness are plugged in, I have not put bulbs in or assembled the headlight buckets and such yet put plan to before heading to shop.

Still installin Classic Auto Air so not ready to have all dash componets insatll yet, so wanting bare min to get me brake, turn and possibly headlights.

thanks

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 15, 07:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Re: 68 Basic Need Wiring

Brake lights should get you there fine,just stick your arm out the window to turn.
It should work if the harness is plugged in,stick the bulbs in there.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 15, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Something I learned early on with these cars, the electrical systems are very funny with regards to having them not complete. Missing a corner lamp, or ground wire, or a burned out bulb, etc and you're going to have all sorts of strange stuff going on. IMO tow it to the shop or wait until it's all together.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 15, 11:08 AM
John

Garage

What's the hurry for the alignment?

Finish up the car then drive it to the shop.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Basically just timing John, or lack of time. We have a nice local show coming up July 10th.

So about 5 weeks to complete car (not sure if I am going to make it.)

Short list
1) Finish Classic Air Install (about 50% complete, hopefully get done this weekend.)

2) Headlight and grille assembly needs put on, plus front bumper.

3) Rear bumper needs installed (Would have been done last night, but when unboxed saw dang vendor sent wrong one) - Have driver quality original but lil old looking and bit pitted, needs chromed)

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but somedays it looks more like a light at a bottom of a pit.

4) Finish adjusting door and quarter glass and then install door panels

5) Put in carpet and seats and console

6) Install dash gauges and console guages

7) Install dash pad and radio and center cover.

It's doable, but I'm a one man show, time flies and everthing take 3 times longer than you think it should.

Plus, if ya remember my car needs salvage rebuild inspection, I havn't made the appointent yet, car basically needs to be complete or at least street legal before they will inspect it. So I need to at least get all lights working, wipers, horn and dash guages done before I call to make the appointment as they schedule anywhere from the next day to 2-3 weeks.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 07:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Garage

x2 on the tow and the fussiness of the electrical system...... spend the weekend on getting the wiring complete instead of the air......you do not want a set back with your time schedule understood, but you do not want a electrical fire either.......

grounds are the biggest challenge, if the harness's are all good you should have it ready for the trip to the alignment shop in no time......

Good luck with the time line and your project.....

8 Ball Racing
Member #120
1969 X77 9 E 69 302 M21 Wallace Chevrolet

1969 RSSS rag top 7 E 69 350 turbo 350

1969 Triple Blue 10 D 68

1968 Chevelle 03 A 68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode