Can You Name This Part? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 15, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Can You Name This Part?

Inside our camaro car clocks is a little barrel shaped component with wire wrapped around it from bottom to top (kind of like an armature).

The beginning of the wire is soldered to the metal plate holding the "barrel" against the non-conductive board.

The other end of wire goes to a little separate plate on the non-conductive board where the "hot" wire plugs into the backside of the clock from the dash wiring harness.

This is a major component of the "points" that's runs the main spring by popping open ever 2 minutes or so.

My little tiny wire broke that goes from the "barrel" to the "hot plug."

I am thinking about trying to rewire the "barrel" but I'm trying to do some internet research about it first.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 15, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Re: Can You Name This Part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327!275hp!Convt! View Post
Inside our camaro car clocks is a little barrel shaped component with wire wrapped around it from bottom to top (kind of like an armature).

The beginning of the wire is soldered to the metal plate holding the "barrel" against the non-conductive board.

The other end of wire goes to a little separate plate on the non-conductive board where the "hot" wire plugs into the backside of the clock from the dash wiring harness.

This is a major component of the "points" that's runs the main spring by popping open ever 2 minutes or so.

My little tiny wire broke that goes from the "barrel" to the "hot plug."

I am thinking about trying to rewire the "barrel" but I'm trying to do some internet research about it first.

Thanks
I think you're referring to the 12-volt solenoid...the clocks are run through a set of contact points wired in series with the solenoid coil. As the clock runs, an arm with one contact point moves closer to its mating contact. The design is such that it allows the points to close, completing the circuit before the spring winding runs down. At that instant of contact, the solenoid gets 12 volts, and the arm that had been stationary pulls in, and it kicks the contact on the moving arm, which then swings the mechanism around rewinding the clock. This motion not only winds the clock again, but it breaks the circuit at the same time. It's the kick of the 12-volt solenoid that makes that periodic “thunk” you’ll hear if you sit in a car when it’s really quiet.

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 15, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteFreak View Post
I think you're referring to the 12-volt solenoid...

Yes, Yes, that's it!!
Thanks
Do you think it's possible for me to "rewind" the wire & thereby repair the solenoid?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 15, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327!275hp!Convt! View Post
Yes, Yes, that's it!!
Thanks
Do you think it's possible for me to "rewind" the wire & thereby repair the solenoid?
It's a rather tedious job, but, doable. If you've never done it before and don't want to completely mess it up, I'd suggest having it repaired by a "vintage clock repair shop". Good luck

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode