Fuse block, wiring harness connection questions - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Fuse block, wiring harness connection questions

I have three questions concerning the mounting of the fuse block / bulkhead to the inside of firewall and then the attachment of the engine and front light wiring harnesses to the bulkhead on the engine side.

1) The connector plugs on the ends of the engine and front light wiring harnesses fit into each other and then both are attached to the bulkhead with one bolt. My question is....what does that bolt thread into? Whatever was on the backside of my bulkhead is gone. When I spread the fuseblock and bulkhead apart, all I see on the back of the bulkhead is the round hole in the plastic for the bolt to go through and nothing else. I would have thought there would be some kind of "captured" nut back there. (See the first two photos)

2) The third photo is from the AIM showing the attachment of the fuse block / bulkhead to the firewall. In View-A, it shows sealant to be applied but I am not sure to where. First off, what kind of sealer would that be? And does it go on the entire foam gasket to seal the gasket to the inside of of the firewall and then help seal the wiring harness connectors to the gasket? When I took this apart, I didn't see any evidence of any kind of sealer.

3) And lastly, the two long screws that attach the fuse block / bulkhead to the firewall. They came with sealer on the threads After having been threaded in once already, part of that sealer is gone. If I just replace the missing sealer with strip caulk, will that seal just as well?

Thanks.....Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 06:53 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Fuse block, wiring harness connection questions

Dave
Question 1. Yes there should be a sort of rivnut there for it to grab on to.

This is the best picture I could find quickly with Google. Rear side of the connector

Question 2 - Dielectric grease was used to seal out moisture on the engine bay side of the bulkhead connector.

Question 3 - The firewall side I think was sealed with a type of dumb-dumb but strip caulk can be substituted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jun 10th, 15 at 07:21 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 07:13 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Pretty sure you can find something usable at the big box store in the fasteners boxes to grab the screw. Maybe just a thin nut and some crazy or gorilla glue.

It might also be in the AMK catalog but you have to order 30 buck worth of parts to do an order direct. SS396 - Ground Up stocks a ton of AMK so they might have it.

Or try calling Lectric Limited, AAW and also MH electric fabricators - http://www.wiringharness.com/ and see if they sell it alone.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 07:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Another picture from the front side this time.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Brian, thanks for hunting up those pictures. They help a lot!

I don't know how I could have lost that nut. It had to have been there when I took it apart a few years ago. I'll have to look in my box of "unidentified" nuts and bolts. At least now I have an idea what I'm looking for. If I can't come up with, I'll rig something that will work.

I'll have to admit to being a bit of a dumbbell when it comes to dielectric grease. Are you supposed to apply it directly onto contacts....or just seal any place water could get in and get to the contacts?

Dave
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 08:15 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Well its a sort of limited use type of thing so you won;t have too many in the box to try.

Dielectric grease conducts insulates and prevents moisture for penetrating. It can be applied to spark plug heads so the rubber boot of the wire won't stick to the porcelain of the plug so the wire can be easily removed for service. This is an example of it conducting and preventing moisture.

Since it could lead to arcing by its conductive properties you do not coat the individual connector pins of the bulkhead connector with it. You use it to seal the connection from outside moisture. I run a bead around the outer perimeter of the connection on the gasket - the new one you made. This will prevent water from getting under the connector.

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jun 10th, 15 at 08:28 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 08:55 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Here DG is used to seal the outside of the connections. I forgot about this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 08:56 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Another series of good photos showing the nut thin as it is. From Team Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559890

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 06:18 PM
Victor

ok guys....whats the scoop on dielectric grease on the bulkhead connections.......this shows in an ebay ad that the entire connector is full of dielectric grease before plugging it in. the ad says that is how they came from the factory....so what is up with saying that the grease should not touch the connectors ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Wirin...7e4b86&vxp=mtr
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 06:21 PM
Victor

isn't the dielectric grease squished out from the inside of that connector box onto the wires....sure looks that way
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 15, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post. I took care of the missing nut on the back side of the bulkhead. I got a T-nut, drilled three holes in the flange of the T-nut, and then put screws through flange and into the bulkhead to hold it in place.

To address Victor's question about the dielectric grease on the engine and front light wiring harness connectors that attach to the bulkhead, I believe the dielectric grease you see on the wires where they enter the connector is applied from the outside just to keep water from getting in. I don't believe it is being squished out from the inside.

I am still wondering about the sealant that is shown in the AIM on the scan that I attached earlier. According to what I see, after the bulkhead is in place and protruding through the firewall, the bulkhead connectors are masked off and then a sealant sprayed from the engine side of the firewall. I am still wondering what kind of spray-able sealer that is and what is actually suppose to seal?

Thanks....Dave

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 15, 06:35 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Very nice MacGyver repair. What part did you use?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 15, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

The T-nut looked like the picture below. I found it at a local electronics surplus house where they have all kinds of odds and ends besides electronics. They have all kinds of fasteners. It is the same place I found the foam to make a new fuse block to firewall seal. I had to shorten the threaded part just a little bit and drill the holes in the flange.

Dave

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 15, 08:42 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode