1968 U17 Conversion Help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Travis

1968 U17 Conversion Help

So I recently purchased an original U17 cluster and console cluster for my 68 and need help with the conversion. The person I bought it from included the conversion harness to plug into my existing wiring harness so I don't have to replace the main but I can't find a schematic for it. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 12:31 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 1968 U17 Conversion Help

Here are the American Auto Wire conversion harness directions. The PDFs are too large to post here but these will give you an idea if this is the harness you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Console Gage Installation Instructions (2).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	114561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Console Gage Installation Instructions (3).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	114569  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Schematics are furnished with the AAW conversion harness. Been a few years since I did mine and I certainly don't remember how it was wired, but should still have the schematics if I can find it. Are you installing a tach as well ?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 15, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Schematics are furnished with the AAW conversion harness. Been a few years since I did mine and I certainly don't remember how it was wired, but should still have the schematics if I can find it. Are you installing a tach as well ?
Yeah I bought the tach as well.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 15, 02:01 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

I did find the schematic and installation instructions that came with the AAW conversion harness. I've never used my scanner ....would be easier for me to just take some pics and post them if you want ? You might've noticed another fella, "Steno_74" is currently doing the conversion as well. He may be of more help than I ?

I'd send the instructions to ya, but I'd want them back when you're done. Or I can take some pics ? Let me know.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Jun 24th, 15 at 02:14 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Travis

Quote:
I did find the schematic and installation instructions that came with the AAW conversion harness. I've never used my scanner ....would be easier for me to just take some pics and post them if you want ? You might've noticed another fella, "Steno_74" is currently doing the conversion as well. He may be of more help than I ?

I'd send the instructions to ya, but I'd want them back when you're done. Or I can take some pics ? Let me know.
That'd be great if you could send me pictures of the instructions. Calling the people at AAW really aren't the greatest help.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

I think you can read these if you zoom in...?
Pg1

Pg2
?

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Jun 25th, 15 at 06:21 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Note, this is for a manual transmission car.

Pg3

Pg4

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
I've never used my scanner ....would be easier for me to just take some pics and post them if you want ?
Does the clock on your VCR flash 12:00?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Does the clock on your VCR flash 12:00?

....and the microwave and answering machine. Electricity will probably go out anyway, overloaded from A/C use. You stayin' , AL ?
I don't even bother setting the Tic-Toc-Tac !

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 08:45 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

PDF version
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AAW 68 gauge conversion CA6805.pdf (97.4 KB, 124 views)

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
....and the microwave and answering machine. Electricity will probably go out anyway, overloaded from A/C use. You stayin' , AL ?
I don't even bother setting the Tic-Toc-Tac !
Cool in the house, but I spent the day in the back yard building a fence. Ugh. Heading to Palm Springs Sat to visit my dad for a week - forecast is for 110 all week. Yow.

Where on I-5 are you?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 15, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Travis

Thanks for the instructions, I called AAW and they told me I need to replace my main harness and forward light harness. I always though there was a way to install the gauges without replacing everything.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 15, 06:32 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Sounds like your engine side wiring is no longer factory stock then. If those harnesses are intact and factory you only need to feed the Tachometer signal wire and ammeter leads through the bulkhead connector, then depending on the conversion harness purchased, either extend these three new connections using your own supplied wire or the included runs of wire to the bus bar and battery block, and to the coil. You use the same warning light lead for Temperature gauge sender, just attach the supplied correct connector.

The conversion harness kits take a factory non gauge vehicle and creates the service stub that the console gauges connect to the dash with. The kits rework existing wiring to create the stub. If your main dash harness has not been modified, or replaced with a custom or update style harness the conversion kits work without issue to create the service stub connection.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 15, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Travis mentioned in a PM that his car was originally an automatic, now converted to manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode