Help needed with wipers - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 15, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
steve

Help needed with wipers

Hi all,
I'm trying to resurrect my '67 rs/ss coupe and get it roadworthy. For some reason, I can only get the windshield wipers to work in the "Squirt" position. That is, wipers only work when the switch is depressed, and with the switch in either "on" position, nothing. I'm not sure if the issue is in the switch, or possibly the motor. Can anyone tell me if there is a troubleshooting process for this, or what terminals should have power in either switch position? any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 15, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Help needed with wipers

I chased this around some yrs back.. so from memory.. and both the following occued at different times
1/ The switch has to be grounded and from memory its grounded thru one of the mounting switches
2/ Take the cover off the motor/ pump unit on the firewall... watch the pump pull the wheel around on squirt...on the right side is the metal lever that pulls the wheel cog... if u remove this and inspect u may find that the rectangle slot in the lever is worn by a smidgen.. couple thu....a touch with a mig welder, re file to shape and good to go again for another few decades.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 15, 04:04 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'd say your switch contacts are bad. I'm not sure the 67-68 switches are rebuildable but they are easy to get a hold of.

You can test easy. The wiper motor has power to it, the switch ground and completes the circuit. Here is a bench test diagram from another post here at TC. It is for bench testing if the wiper is off the firewall, but you can test in the vehicle by removing the leads and jump the single wires to a ground such as the dash support to test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	standard.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	115177  

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 15, 11:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I hope someone with knowledge of 67's joins in here. The test procedures above are for 69 and they have a different motor completely. I do think the problem is with the switch and it ground. I believe all the GM wiper motors are hot feed and the ground is changed to get the functions of low, fast wash and park.

Jeff
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 15, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech
67LSRS

Having an issue with mine as well. Also a 67 new aaw harness.
i have power the motor the motor is grounded by the mounting bolt has a strap going from bolt to inside motor.
I get nothing no matter were the switch is set. Did you find a solution,to yours?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 15, 11:39 AM
Kevin

67LSRS, that is my diagram, but I put the 68-69 title on it because of the wire colors. 67s might have different colors. But the principal design is the same. Motor gets 12v all the time, getting it to move is switched using the ground paths.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode