Team Camaro Tech banner

Wiring Help

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  french69ssrs 
#1 ·
Hey fellas, getting to the end of my build and working on finishing up Classic Auto Air and installing modern stereo.

Come to an issue on wiring harnesses, since I never removed the stock components, I'm trying to figure out which harness went to what on passanger side of vehicle.

I assume the harness with glove box bulb attached, went to heater box??

And shorter loom went to radio?

I ask because instructions for Classic Auto wants you to tap into brown wire (for most GM vehicles), however I do not see a brown wire on the heater harness? Would it be a differant color on a 68?

Also, does the orange wire that goes to fan in engine block get used in Classic Auto/Vintage Air setup?

Also on modern radio, not sure what on old harness is always hot versus hot with key on?

I have searched and also looked up harnesses, but can't seem to find what I am needing.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Scott
I just went thru the "mod's" you are describing as I did the Classic Auto Air and RetroSound2 installs but on my 69, I think the Harnesses for your Questions are the same.

I will try and answer your questions :

You Wrote
Hey fellas, getting to the end of my build and working on finishing up Classic Auto Air and installing modern stereo.

Come to an issue on wiring harnesses, since I never removed the stock components, I'm trying to figure out which harness went to what on passanger side of vehicle.

I assume the harness with glove box bulb attached, went to heater box??
That Harness I believe you are looking at is the Resistor Harness, 3 - 18 Gauge wires, Yellow, Light Blue and Orange, that Harness is not used and I just kind of Tied it up so it did not Rattle.

And shorter loom went to radio? That is Yellow 20 Gauge (Hot when Key in Acc or Run) and Black (ground)

I ask because instructions for Classic Auto wants you to tap into brown wire (for most GM vehicles), however I do not see a brown wire on the heater harness? Would it be a different color on a 68?
The Brown Wire is part of the Heater Switch Harness near the Instrument Cluster, it has 5 wires to that Plug, 2 Orange 14 and 18 Gauge, Light Blue 18 Gauge, Yellow 18 Gauge and a Brown 14 Gauge – This is the Brown Wire Classic wants you to “tap into” It will be the “Switched” Power supply to you’re A/C Heater System.

Also, does the orange wire that goes to fan in engine block get used in Classic Auto/Vintage Air setup?
No, This Orange Wire that runs thru the Firewall Disconnect is not used, I kept mine and Cut and Buried it into my Harness, I used my BB Heater Core Box and Blower Motor for looks, that was for Outside air – Your System and mine does not use Outside air if your car was Originally Heat Only. You will be using the Block off plate for the Blower Motor, I made my own.

Also on modern radio, not sure what on old harness is always hot versus hot with key on?
And shorter loom went to radio? That is Yellow 20 Gauge (Hot when Key in Acc or Run) and Black (ground).

I did run a Feeder off the Batt Terminal with a Fuse to Power my Radio, Power Antenna and Air/ Fuel Gauge – If you need Batt Power.

I have searched and also looked up harnesses, but can't seem to find what I am needing.

hope this helps, I attached a Pic where you can just see the Classic Auto Air Control Module on the Back side of the Cowl/ Plenum area, be careful drilling here as to Location. And a Pic of my BB Heater Box with the Dummy Ornge Wire.

I have a post where I described how I put my Dash together, I will try and find it.
Timmy

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks Timmy for taking the time to write such a detailed response, I really apprecaite it. I am going to print it out and see if I can make heads or tails out of mine with the information you wrote.

Thanks Again!! :thumbsup: :beers:
Hi Scott
Found the Link

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=347977

Some Pics and info might be helpful, again, mine is a 69, your Heater Control is more in the middle I believe.

I sent you a PM, Be careful when Laying out the Hole for the Evaporator Drain in regards to the Directions, they show straight down from the Lower/ Inboard Heater Box stud hole. I needed to "slot" this hole about 1/4" - 3/8" to the right so I could Level the Evaporator Housing off for Drainage and the New, Plastic Glove Box from Classic is very Stiff, could not be installed from underneath on the Right hand side where it goes.
I had to slide it in from the Dash Carrier/ Housing area and kind of stage it where the ash tray is until I had the Dash Pad installed, than I slid it into place and Screwed it in.

Lot's of fun stuff to be considered as you move foreword.

Timmy

#5 ·
Sorry, I havn't posted back, didn't get back on the car till last night.

Thanks for the great help Timmy, both here and on the PM, I found he heater harness I need to patch in.

I do not see a radio harness, I do have the one harness you said gets tied up and not used, and an other one, but the male connector does not match the factory radio I have, so I am thinking I can just run a hot always lead to battery and then also splice into a run only wire for the stereo, that along with speaker wires is basically all I need to run the stereo only.

So hopefully get this thing wrapped up next week.

Thansk again for the help. :beers:

#6 ·
Hi Scott
probably too late but I found the OEM style "Packard 56" Male/ Female Terminals on eBay with the Male/ Female Connector Plugs.

For my Stereo, I just made a quick disconnect from the Yellow/ Black Radio supply wires from my Original Harness which is Switched by the Key and now, its plugged in and working.

I found them in Single, Double, 3 and 4 Wire Connectors. Have a bunch in my supply box.
Timmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.