69 Camaro Wiring Harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Mike

69 Camaro Wiring Harness

So after reading several posts on this subject, I purchased The AAW Classic Update series wiring harness kit (complete wiring kit - 1969 Camaro). I was only looking at AWW and M&H.

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...it-1969-camaro

Started to install - had dash harness, taillight harness, installed and started working on engine harness. This is where I ran into some issues.

Apparently you cannot use this kit if going with factory alternator and ammeter (gauge in console). I have been informed if I want to continue to use this harness, I must replace the alternator (to internal regulated) and the ammeter gauge in the console will not be able to be used.

AWW informed me, I must now purchase their OE style harness kits if I want to use original style components. M&H sells similar, but has the upgraded fuses. For safety reasons - thinking about going with M&H. Has anyone used their harness kits or should I stay with AWW?

Also - I will be selling the AWW complete kit (did not split any wires, so like new). Paid $625, but will let go for $500 (free shipping). PM me if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 06:35 AM
John

Garage
Re: 69 Camaro Wiring Harness

I don't understand your safety concerns.

The ammeter in the console has full battery power through and a volt meter is better and safer.

Changing out the alt is not expensive and you will probably end up with a higher amperage.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

X2 what John said, I wish I went that route at the beginning of my build. By the time I went through my car, I basically ended up changing all the wiring (except under the dash) using OEM harnesses, time I got done I spent more than going your route. And now I wish I had upgraded to modern fuse box and altenator. Makes adding modern addtions much easier that trying to find comparable connections on the OEM system.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Mike

John,

Thanks. I guess I should have clarified on the safety front - with M&H I was thinking of going with new fuse box (ATC) blade type fuses as opposed to older style glass body type. I plan to keep the original gauges in the console (not change from ammeter to volt meter). I don't think there is a way to use the AW harness, but keep the ammeter functional.

I can see why the issue with ammeter though - having full battery power passing through - sure hope everything is grounded properly.

Mike
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 04:29 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnawalters View Post
John,

Thanks. I guess I should have clarified on the safety front - with M&H I was thinking of going with new fuse box (ATC) blade type fuses as opposed to older style glass body type. I plan to keep the original gauges in the console (not change from ammeter to volt meter). I don't think there is a way to use the AW harness, but keep the ammeter functional.

I can see why the issue with ammeter though - having full battery power passing through - sure hope everything is grounded properly.

Mike
Classic Update does have the new ATC Bladed Type fuses.

And it's relatively easy run a wire to use the existing ammeter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode