Ist Gen Volt meter for console - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pat

Ist Gen Volt meter for console

I am considering replacing the AMP gauge in the cluster with the VOLT meter and hope to get responses from members.

I see them priced anywhere from $75 up to $150 and many dealers so I'm wondering if there is more than one manufacturer and different quality's.
One dealer identity's theirs as being Made in Taiwan and other's do not specify who or where it is made. Some advertise theirs as "GM Licensed" but nothing else. I have purchased other GM Licensed items and realize that only means that someone paid someone else to use the logo and has nothing to do with quality or correctness of the item.

Is their more than one place to get it? Any feedback as far as issues with these replacements? Thanks, Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 08:11 AM
John

Garage
Re: Ist Gen Volt meter for console

What year?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
ray

You can have the one you have converted to a volt meter. There is several places that can do it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 15, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pat

Mine are 1968 and 1969 with the silver face.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 15, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pat

American Autowire has a video on youtube promoting their's but no dealers specify who makes theirs. Even Summit sells them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 15, 11:36 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

American Auto Wire were the first to offer these - mainly for folks who ordered their classic update harnesses that require you to switch to a internal regulated alternator and that required you loosing your original style ammeter. I believe AAW contracted Classic Instrument to make them for them, and I assume now either AAW is selling them to resellers or CI is directly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 15, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pat

Thanks! My guess is that just about everything you purchase lately is made off shore so I'm curious about the quality and any problems that others using this type of Volt meter has experienced any problems.

I do realize that I cannot use the AMP harness and do need to fuse the wire so that's all taken care of.

Does everyone that has made this conversion have suggestions and are you happy with it?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 15, 07:34 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Classic Instruments has been in business a while and I have never seen and negative press on them. http://www.classicinstruments.com/

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 15, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Classic Instruments has been in business a while and I have never seen and negative press on them. http://www.classicinstruments.com/
I don't believe they sell 68-69 Camaro gauges.

1969 Camaro RS Hugger Orange - Work in Progress - You see rust, I see restoration!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 15, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pat

Robert, you might be correct. I could not find one on their website but sent and email.

I received a reply from Summit Racing that the one they offer does say that it is USA made.

I still have not heard from anyone who has used the volt gauge and the cruise' around here have mostly modified Camaros and of the few stock ones that have gauges they are all AMP.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 15, 12:37 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

As I said I think they manufacture the voltmeter for 68-69 camaro and 68-74 Nova for AAW, as is part of their custom shop business. They do not sell them under their name. AAW does. They sell a host of aftermarket gauges, mainly for the 50's, 60's and 70's era vehicle and hot rod markets and also will make any custom gauge you want. They make a 67-68 Camaro set but not 69. http://shop.classicinstruments.com/1...camaro-package

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pat

Brain, I did hear from them and they confirmed that they will custom make the volt meter but do not offer the original style at this time.

Heartbeat City claims to have the GM Licensed style for $80.00 so I will give them a call on Tuesday. With other items for other GM vehicles the License tag does not really mean much as I posted before. Several cast parts for the Camaro, Chevelle and Vette I'm restoring were GM Licensed made over seas and the quality up against an original was unacceptable.

I was not able to make contact with American Autowire yet and still have not made contact with anyone who has used the VOLT gauge.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 05:43 PM
John

Garage

http://www.camarocentral.com/1968_19..._p/con-869.htm

This should work

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 15, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pat

Yup, the link took me to the right spot.

AAW explained that theirs is made by Classic who also told me they would rebuild my AMP gauge to a VOLT gauge.

One's on order and time will tell.

It will be nice to see another gauge that goes up like the temp and oil pressure. Too bad the only time I see the fuel gauge go up is when the level of cash my pocket is going down.

Thanks.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 15, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pat

OK, everyone is right! I purchased one and it arrived today. I was confused by the "Classic Instruments" link who said they could build me one but the package is "Classic Restorations, Pro Shop series" and they have them in stock. I did not buy it from them but instead use a company I've dealt with in a Heart Beat!

Thanks for everyone's input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode