Horn stopped working. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 15, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Horn stopped working.

Last year, I spent many days and nights rehabing my OE horns. I got them to work, but only by pressing the horn cap at 2 O'clock. This year my horn stopped working. The horns are good, the horn relay is good, but something in my steering horn cap is wrong. I checked for an open at the horn button, put it all back together and got one short honk and nothing after. I repeated this scenario two more times with the same results. I believe there is a wire missing, inside the cap button. I see a push on spade but there's not wire to connect it to. I can make a female wire to connect to the spade, but I have no idea where the other end should go. Am I one the right track? My steering wheel is a Grant.

'67 RS/SS 396 4spd Muncie 12 bolt diff.
1941 Chevy 1/2 ton P.U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 15, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Horn stopped working.

Hi David,

I think I can tell you where the wires go - I'm looking at the wiring diagram for a 69 (I'm hoping it's similar enough to a 67), and I can trace the wire from the horn button to a ground from the main fuse box. According to my diagram, it's a black wire that goes straight to the relay, to which the horns are connected (green wires). This is where you would need to connect the wire from the steering wheel horn button - the horn button completes the circuit by grounding it when it is pressed.

The AIM pages with the wiring diagram (again, it's for 1969) are section 12 D1-D3 (pages 177, 178, and 179).

Here is a picture of the relay and the wires labeled:
http://s815.photobucket.com/user/zte...wtext.jpg.html

If you have the wires hooked up correctly, then maybe it's something with the steering wheel button/switch? If you get a small, intermittent, pathetic honk then maybe it's something with the ground?

I hope this helps,
-Mark from MN
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 15, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Thanks Mark, that makes tracking this down like having a road map. I had the steering wheel off last year and the dash out as I was checking and rewiring a number of dash and gauge issues. I'll take the wheel off again, tomorrow. I may have lost that black wire down the column, assuming that's where that thin blk wire from the relay goes. The wiring in my car has been hacked (PO) terribly. As if it all had needed to be replaced, but only essentials were replaced with canabelized harnesses.

1941 Chevy 1/2 ton P.U.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 15, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
George

So, its not an issue with the grant horn button? If you ground the contact with a screwdriver does the horn work? I only say this because you said it worked when you pushed the button in one certain spot.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Thank you, Mark. I pulled the steering wheel, and looked under the dust cover. Where the spring touches the contact was covered with a sawdust colored substance. I thought it might be grease. Cleaned it up, got it together, Wa La, horn works better than it ever! Thanks again for your advice. Dave

1941 Chevy 1/2 ton P.U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode