How can I eliminate the horn relay? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

How can I eliminate the horn relay?

Guys, trying to eliminate all non needed systems on the gen 1. How can I get rid of horn relay?

69 Camaro coupe project link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 07:37 AM
John

Garage
Re: How can I eliminate the horn relay?

Just eliminate it and connect the wires that are on the buss together

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Or just remove the trigger wire? Unless you're trying to remove the remnants of the system too, then you'll want to do what John suggested.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Just eliminate it and connect the wires that are on the buss together

Last edited by BPOS; Jul 26th, 15 at 10:27 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
Rather than assume anything about the situation, perhaps we should ask why the OP wants to eliminate the horn relay?

Once that is understood, good advice can then be given. That information would help determine if the horn and relay really is non-essential (such as an off road car) or if it really would be considered still essential (a street car).

The technical question is easily answered as has already been stated by other replies.

Sometimes this site can be really helpful, sometimes it feels like people get on here to belittle others. the person that made this comment has the right idea. Ask why I want my horn relay gone then you can offer advice or criticize my logic. The reason I want to eliminate the relay is I dont like the way it looks and I figured I could use something else for my, some type of new technology. My car had problems yesterday, and originally we thought it was the relay draining the car preventing it from starting. We discovered it was my ignition switch, but I thought maybe I should eliminate things that could have me on the side of the road in the future. Excuse me for trying to be forward thinking.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 03:34 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Come on now guys....WOW
OP asked a question and only needed an answer. Glad he didn't ask about drag slicks too.
Many states issue Classic or Historic plates to these cars with no inspection at all (Maryland is one of them) I don't have to pass anything, no smog, not brakes and lights checked, ETC.
PLEASE stop reading into what someone is asking and give your opinion; maybe next time ask WHY they are wanting to remove, add, ETC and then help if you can.

Thanks....just keep it civil

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Anthony, as you know by now that a working horn is required to pass a state inspection. But to answer your question and to keep the wiring neat remove the relay and wiring. You can connect all the 12v hot wires to a battery junction block. Connect all the grounds to the radiator support using star washers. Here is the battery junction block. http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_19..._p/wir-341.htm
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
George

And, to be helpful I will throw my opinion into the ring. I see what you are trying to do. I dont think the horn relay will cause you much trouble. Its a fairly robust item. Now, right next to it is the voltage regulator. Eliminating that would be a worthwhile endeavor. Whether you replace it with a newer solid state unit, or replace the old alternator with a modern, internally regulated one, you will notice improvements in charging, brighter headlights at idle, and a more reliable charging circuit.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Anthony, as Doug points out a junction block will work to eliminate the horn relay, but it will eliminate the horn as well which could cause you inspection issues. If you have a good functioning horn relay, I'd suggest you leave it as is. You can't eliminate all the components in a car that "might" cause you an issue, if you did, you wouldn't have a functioning vehicle. I don't think a junction block will look any better or cleaner than a horn relay.

If you learn how all the systems in these first gen Camaros work, they become pretty easy to trouble shoot and if maintained well, they are pretty reliable vehicles overall.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
Anthony, as Doug points out a junction block will work to eliminate the horn relay, but it will eliminate the horn as well which could cause you inspection issues. If you have a good functioning horn relay, I'd suggest you leave it as is. You can't eliminate all the components in a car that "might" cause you an issue, if you did, you wouldn't have a functioning vehicle. I don't think a junction block will look any better or cleaner than a horn relay.

If you learn how all the systems in these first gen Camaros work, they become pretty easy to trouble shoot and if maintained well, they are pretty reliable vehicles overall.
Well, I want to at least go with a more updated type of relay that doesnt look like a relic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
And, to be helpful I will throw my opinion into the ring. I see what you are trying to do. I dont think the horn relay will cause you much trouble. Its a fairly robust item. Now, right next to it is the voltage regulator. Eliminating that would be a worthwhile endeavor. Whether you replace it with a newer solid state unit, or replace the old alternator with a modern, internally regulated one, you will notice improvements in charging, brighter headlights at idle, and a more reliable charging circuit.

I think my original vr is gone, with the ls2 its in the alternator I think. I just wanna take my car as far into the future as possible and just have it be super reliable. These are my main goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdminter55 View Post
Anthony, as you know by now that a working horn is required to pass a state inspection. But to answer your question and to keep the wiring neat remove the relay and wiring. You can connect all the 12v hot wires to a battery junction block. Connect all the grounds to the radiator support using star washers. Here is the battery junction block. http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_19..._p/wir-341.htm

California sucks in many ways but one way its cool is my car doesnt need ANY inspections. I want a horn, however I wanna upgrade it if possible, like my lights are hid something along those lines of an upgrade for the horn.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 02:30 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Anthony, then you can remove the original horn relay, and connect all the wires that were terminated together there on the buss bar of the horn relay onto a terminal block like Doug posted a link for or another one of your choice if you find something else you like instead.

In order to still keep the horn functional, you could purchase and install a relay of sufficient size (amperage) that will handle the current the horns draw and trigger this new "horn relay" from the horn button on your steering wheel. The new "horn relay" can be hidden wherever you want, the closer to the horns the better. It's just a matter of wiring to the new hidden "horn relay" location. The other remaining terminals on the old horn relay are what handle the horn function itself and the key buzzer. Here is a link to a photo that details the original horn relay connections: http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/z...cturewtext.jpg

This would give you the added reliability of removing the "relic" original relay as you called it, but still have a functional horn. If you want even more reliability, replace the fusible link shown in the right side of the photo with a self resetting circuit breaker if your car still has a fusible link, again it just needs to be of high enough amperage. The best of both worlds in both cases.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 06:36 AM
John

Garage

The AAW Classic Update Harness eliminates the OEM horn relay and uses a relay under the dash for the horn.

You can easily do the same by adding a relay triggered by the horn button

Last edited by Vega$69; Jul 27th, 15 at 09:53 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 11:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Anthony:

You are correct: "Sometimes this site can be really helpful, sometimes it feels like people get on here to belittle others."
You asked a perfectly legitimate question for a good reason.

Thank goodness John gets it. I think he gave you the best answer. I am not a fan of throwing out the old harness for a restoration, but for a resto mod like you are doing, you might want to consider a new wiring harness that will acomodate your LS swap as well as the other upgrades. Your car is looking good.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode