No Power to the Gauge Fuse - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 15, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Question No Power to the Gauge Fuse

I just did some work under the hood and when I hooked everything back up I had no power to the Horn, Fuel Gauge and the Acc that I use for my after market radio. The first thing I checked was the fuse. When I found there is no power to the fuse marked "Gauges". I tried to track it down with no luck. Can anybody give me any suggestions on where under the hood I should be looking. Let me make note that the original charging system had been converted to a single wire system a long time ago, and there is an HEI ignition. There was never any issues in the past. I am afraid that I may have messed with a wire unintentionally.
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by Mikecio1; Aug 1st, 15 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Change notifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 15, 05:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: No Power to the Gauge Fuse

Mike - The fuse panel is the drivers side of the bulkhead connector on the firewall. Do you have a standard horn relay? If so trace its feed back to the main splice behind the battery and check there is power from the splice and junction block to the horn relay, then up to the bulkhead connector. If the answer is yes, then the issue may be behind the front side of the fuse panel, remove the two screws and unclip it and inspect for broken or loose wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 15, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Mike

I will try that.
Thank you!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 15, 08:03 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

these might help if you don't have one already... One is a typical Chevy wiring diagram and the other is for a first gen Camaro that has changed alternator type, charging circuit and swapped to HEI ignition and uses a tachometer filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	118105   Click image for larger version

Name:	replace HEI tach filter digram.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	118113  

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 15, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Since you didn't say what kind of car you're working on, I'll assume it's a gen 1 Camaro...

The fuse box is fed by a single 12ga (red) wire from the front light harness via the bulkhead connector. The only exception is the INST LPS fuse which is fed from the headlight switch.

It seems very odd that you can have power to some fuses but not all.

For a 69, the ACC spade on the fuse block is protected by the RADIO fuse

The IGN spade is protected by the DIR SIG BACKUP fuse.

To test these fuses, ground your test light (I usually use the park brake bracket), turn the key to ON and test both sides of the fuses. Power to both sides means the fuse is good. Power to one side only means the fuse is bad. Power to neither side means ???.

Also, the fuse clips in the box tend to rust on these old heaps - if yours are they need to be cleaned to shiny metal.

Edit - The horn button on your steering wheel completes the ground side of the circuit, so it's normal to find no power there. The horn gets its power from the horn relay bus - if you have no power there you have big issues

Last edited by BPOS; Aug 2nd, 15 at 10:55 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 15, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Since you didn't say what kind of car you're working on, I'll assume it's a gen 1 Camaro...

The fuse box is fed by a single 12ga (red) wire from the front light harness via the bulkhead connector. The only exception is the INST LPS fuse which is fed from the headlight switch.

It seems very odd that you can have power to some fuses but not all.

For a 69, the ACC spade on the fuse block is protected by the RADIO fuse

The IGN spade is protected by the DIR SIG BACKUP fuse.

To test these fuses, ground your test light (I usually use the park brake bracket), turn the key to ON and test both sides of the fuses. Power to both sides means the fuse is good. Power to one side only means the fuse is bad. Power to neither side means ???.

Also, the fuse clips in the box tend to rust on these old heaps - if yours are they need to be cleaned to shiny metal.

Edit - The horn button on your steering wheel completes the ground side of the circuit, so it's normal to find no power there. The horn gets its power from the horn relay bus - if you have no power there you have big issues
OK - the part highlighted in red is wrong.

For a 69, the following fuses are fed directly from the dash power-up wire:

CLOCK CTSY LIGHTER
TAIL
STOP HZ

These are fed from the ignition switch:

RADIO
HEATER
WIPER
DIR SIG
GAUGES

INST LPS fed from headlight switch.

The fuses with problems are both fed from the ignition switch. That is where I'd be looking if you had the key on when testing.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 15, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Its a 67 Camaro RS. I am sorry I assume that everyone knows what I have :P.
With that being said, the wiring has been modified in some ways during the years by previous owners. So I have to assume its stock then work from there. I will be working on this tomorrow, if I make any headway I will let you all know. Thank you all VERY much for the replies. I hate electrical Gremlins!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 15, 04:30 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Mike when you get a second go to your control panel and fill out your signature block with the details of your ride, then everybody will know what you have.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 15, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Mike when you get a second go to your control panel and fill out your signature block with the details of your ride, then everybody will know what you have.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 15, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Mike

I just wanted to give everyone who was kind enough to post suggestions a big thank you and an update.
About 6 months ago I sent the car to a local muscle car repair shop to finally fix (after years of not working) the electric headlight doors (An RS). The guy got them up and running with an after market relay set up from Painless. I am very happy with them. Now fast forward. I just finished up some work under the hood. I replaced all the half assed 69 set up and put the engine back to an original looking 67 set up, less the ignition , I continue to use a GM HEI one wire set up. While I was under the dash I bumped the wire the guy set up that goes to the ignition switch that sends power to close the light doors. The guy had spliced 2 wires together and the connector had come loose. while I was messing under there the hot wire hit the radio. It apparently sent the power backwards though the system grounding out the dash items I listed. I pulled out all the wiring and cleaned it up with nice new splices and connectors. I also replaced all the fuses in the box for good measure.
Now everything seems to be working fine.
Thank you all once again for the input and the diagrams!

Mike
1967 Camaro rs
369 4bbl (Q-jet )
4 Speed ( M-20 )
GM HEI Ignition

Torch Red /White Rally Stripes
Torque Trusts with BFG's

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 15, 02:55 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Glad all is well and thanks for the wrap-up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode