68' dome light - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 15, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Mark

68' dome light

I looked through the forum and there wasn't a lot out there on this. My problem is my done light wont turn off. I tried changing the door jam units as well as made sure the headlight lever wasn't turned all the way over to the left. The wiring manual is a bit vague on this. Before I start taking off panels, anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 15, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: 68' dome light

Do you have just a center roof dome light or a combination of underdash lights ?.

If it's just the center roof dome light, maybe try taking the housing loose from the roof to where it's no longer bolted down. I've seen some replacement housings have too much plating on them and make the dome light stay on. Normally it's on the ground side because if it was on the positive side it should have blown a fuse.

If it's not from the dome light housing being grounded then it has to be a ground on the white wire off of the dome light. This white wire along with the orange power wire comes off of the dome light and runs towards the driver's rear wheel house in the trunk on coupes. From there it gets into the same bundle of wires for the taillights. The wires then go up front by the driver's kick panel and then in the loom, the white wire then splits with one part of the split going to the driver's door switch, another part of the split going to the passenger door switch and the third split to the headlight switch. Somewhere on that white wire is getting grounded.

I have seen the harness run wrong in the driver's kick panel to where one or more of the mounting screws punctures the wire and grounds it.

Wires can also get chafed behind the kick panel and even under the door sill plate and possibly where the loom goes into the trunk.

If you have added underdash dome lights then these have two wires on them (orange and white) and these just parallel wire onto the center dome light wires somewhere in the loom and maybe those sockets or bulbs have issues.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 15, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Mark

Re: 68' dome light

Thank you very much! Its just the dome light, no under dash lighting and it is a RS coupe. I believe its all original wiring. Once again, thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dome, light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode