Resistor Wire (How to upgrde/remove for HEI in bulkhead connection) - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Resistor Wire (How to upgrde/remove for HEI in bulkhead connection)

Hi everyone. So I installed an MSD distributor in my vehicle and unless I run a jumper from the battery directly to the (+) side of the coil, the motor will not run even remotely close to normal. If it would start at all, it would sound like a motor that has 2 wires crossed or running on only 5 or 6 cylinders. Attach the jumper, problem solved (temporarily). Remove the jumper while the engine is running, and it would more than likely immediately stall. When I measured the voltage at the battery, coil and coil while cranking the starter motor, I obtained the following reading: 12.82v/12.20v/10.88 respectively. So, I assume I need to bypass the resistor wire. I removed some of the factory tape covering the wiring harness coming from the bulkhead connector off the firewall. I can see the resistor wire about 5" from the connector. I can't get closer or remove the connector itself because the brake booster is in the way. I suppose I could remove the booster, but that's a pain in the butt. Can I just splice there leaving the 5" of resistor wire? If the resistance is made up from the entire length of the wire, will leaving that 5" be inconsequential or do I need to come up with a different plan? Thanks!

69í Camaro convt. Metallic grey, Blueprint Engines roller 383 stroker 445hp/465tq. Edelbrock Air Gap intake. Holley Terminator EFI. Hooker stainless headers. Tremec TKO-600 5 speed, 3.55 posi rear, Vintage Air, March Performance, TMI Interiors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Re: Resistor Wire

You can get in there. I promise. It's one bolt holding the wiring harness in.

If you google it you'll find how to remove the wire completely from the harness plug. If I recall it's a matter of using needle nose pliers and pushing in while moving it a certain direction then pulling out. Then get the part from NAPA they recommend and install the new wire.

I wouldn't use any of the resister wire if I were you. You'll just be cutting your voltage short to the distributor.

Another option might be a relay and direct run from the battery I suppose.

edit: http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums.../t-157612.html

That give directions but the pics are kinda hard to see.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
Al

A different plan would be to run a 12ga wire from the IGN terminal on the fuse block to coil+. Perhaps feed the wire through the speedo cable hole in the firewall, or drill a hole and use a grommet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
One of the most common mistakes when upgrading or Nova's from a point ignition to a GM HEI or any HP ignition system is not changing out the resistor wire so the HEI will receive the proper voltage needed to operate correctly.

I did this today on a GEN 3 so thought I would share.

This is not correct and what is mostly found.
A resistor wire with a pig tail for HEI power connection sliced in.
Not a good thing! :no::no::no::no:

First you need to remove the engine wiring harness from the firewall.
This will be located between the fender and brake master cylinder.
Power brake can make this aggravating to get to.

Remove the 3/8 bolt and pull the harness away from the firewall.

Notice how the harness will separate so you can remove only the engine part of the harness.

Now you have the harness removed from the vehicle, you need to remove the resistor wire & terminal from the terminal block. This is a easy, just trace the wire and lightly squeeze the terminal and push and pull it out from the back side.

Now we make up the new wire.
you will need 24'' of a quality 14ga stranded wire (I prefer red in color)
2 GM specialty terminals NAPA part number referenced.
Use a quality crimping tool.

It is also easy to remove the factoy alignment terminal housing used on the HEI. With a pin tool you remove the housing.

Make up the wire with the new terminals and plug them back into the harness terminal block and HEI terminal housing. Re-install the wiring harness and your set.

Terminal for dist.

terminal for factory harness

Installing the factory harness terminal is easy, just push it in. and make sure it is locked into place.

FYI
AL

PS: It took me more time to post and edit pics than do the work on the car!
I decided to repost it and add the image tags so you can actually read it. I wish someone had done the same for me...

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 09:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
A different plan would be to run a 12ga wire from the IGN terminal on the fuse block to coil+. Perhaps feed the wire through the speedo cable hole in the firewall, or drill a hole and use a grommet.
Isn't that fused to the turn signals as well? If you use that and blow it because of something stupid your car would shut off.

I've heard of using the IGN terminal and the factory resistor wire together but that sounds dumb to me as well because then you're bypassing the fuse for the turn signal.

The best way, as far as I can tell, to do it is to just replace the resister wire in full.

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Hi George, this is great info esp with the pics! Do I need both of those NAPA part numbers or just the engine side ? #725145?

Thanks! John

69í Camaro convt. Metallic grey, Blueprint Engines roller 383 stroker 445hp/465tq. Edelbrock Air Gap intake. Holley Terminator EFI. Hooker stainless headers. Tremec TKO-600 5 speed, 3.55 posi rear, Vintage Air, March Performance, TMI Interiors
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech
jerry

Go back to BPOS reply #3 and do it like he says. Simple and works great. Also
Just fold resistor wire back and tape around so if you ever want to go back to
Point ignition again, the wire is still there. No need to remove old wire from
Harness.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I really like the pulling the wire from the harness method. It's final and seems ultra secure. However, I just looked at the car and with the 11" booster, no way I'm getting it done without removing the booster first. Plus, I have to buy a whole pack (50) of the connectors to the tune of $45. Idk, I really don't wanna mess with the booster, at least not in the middle of summer. Plus, I'd like to find someone or a store that sells the connectors individually. I'll probably will go with Al's method. I can always rework it a bit if I want to at some point secure it into the harness. I've seen several mentions on using 12 ga wire. I have 14 ga on hand and the assembly manual says 20 ga was used for the resistor as well as the yellow wire that goes from there to the starter solenoid.Anyone see any reason not to use the 14 ga? Thanks

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 01:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I was able to re-use the connector with a little gentle persuasion and a soldering iron.

I, too, have the booster. You can get in there with a socket, extension and a swivel or try from under the car.

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 02:00 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

You need the mini pac 784490 or buy them on eBay 25 for $9.99 or 5 for a dollar but you can buy them signally they are Packard 56 series male connectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAPA-Belden-...-/360792136119

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
Isn't that fused to the turn signals as well? If you use that and blow it because of something stupid your car would shut off.

The best way, as far as I can tell, to do it is to just replace the resister wire in full.
Yes it is.

The resistor wire is protected via a fusible link at the horn realy bus. Take your pick.

If the OP were to splice a standard 12ga copper wire an inch of so from where the resistor wire exits the bulkhead connector I doubt there would be any appreciable voltage drop

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 04:12 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
You need the mini pac 784490 or buy them on eBay 25 for $9.99 or 5 for a dollar but you can buy them signally they are Packard 56 series male connectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAPA-Belden-...-/360792136119
I'll send you a couple in the mail. PM your address
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 11:41 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If u replace the resistor wire, and want to use a points in the future... do the sensible thing that Ford , Dodge And GM Aussie Holden did... have a ceramic ballast resistor in the line...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 15, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Re: Resistor Wire (How to upgrde/remove for HEI in bulkhead connection

Oh, GEEZ, just do as recommended previously, remove the resistor wire at the coil + terminal, and tape it off, then, run it back into the harness. ADD a wire from the IGN terminal through the firewall at a place the wire can be run through it, preferably where it has an insulator, to the coil + terminal. Done, works right, no fuss, no muss, no stupidity to carry a porcelain resistor if points need to be put back into the system, NO WIRING LOOM ALTERING.

This IS what I do for a living, small-body HEI. The above is what I do to feed them with a full 12 volts, NEVER FAILED SO FAR, only about 40 years of doing it that way.

Many posts on this subject prove that there ARE many, many ways, to chase one's tail 'round and 'round in circles, and NOT get it to work right.

If one really wants to butcher up the stock harness at the firewall connector, the connectors are available form any GM dealer, and, a simple one bolt removal will allow access to the side of the holder the connector is held in by, so the old terminal can be removed, and the new one, with a copper stranded wire, can be installed into the resistor wire (silver stranded) for full volts to the coil.

SIMPLE AS THAT.
sparky8167 likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 03:59 AM
Apprentice
Graeme

Re: Resistor Wire (How to upgrde/remove for HEI in bulkhead connection

While this may be an old thread it is still helpful. Thanks Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
resistor wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode