Wiring HELP!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Wiring HELP!!!

Hello, i'm new here and I need some help.
I'm having an issue with my wiring. I'm in the process of putting my car back together and i'm testing the wiring. It's a 67 with the original harness that is in good condition. Anyway, here's my questions...

1. On the column harness, i'm getting juice at from the horn wire going into the column, is this normal?
2. When my key is on and I put the left turn signal on, the right arrow lights up on the dash and my heater control light comes on.
3. When my key is on and I put the right turn signal on, the left arrow lights on the dash and my heater control light comes on.
4. The turn feed and the Hazard feed going up the column don't seem to have a full 12v (my test light don't light up very bright when I test these 2 wires).
5. My dash lights aren't working. What wire is it on the connector that is supposed to get power for them to work?

There seems to be some back feed through the fuse panel when I do 2 and 3 above.

I bought a used column on ebay and it looks to have a new signal switch in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Wiring HELP!!!

Welcome, Mike
I will try to answer
1. Yes, power all the way up to the button.
2 & 3. The indicators are wired in parallel to the front turn lights at the firewall connector.
Could be the wires for the indicators on the plug on the connector may be swapped. Cluster is a foil board, kind of hard to swap power there, but, never discount it.
4. Turn & Hazard have their own power source from fuse panel to function - check titles on fuse panel.
5. Dash lights, including heater control light, are gray wire from headlamp switch. Apparently, heater light is getting power from turn signals some how - pull turn signal fuse to see if heater light goes out. If it does, and with 2 & 3, could be a shorted bulb.

2 &3 - pull opposite bulbs out and check the other side for working correctly. Shorted bulbs internally can do the above symptoms.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 15, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Ok, got the dash lights working, seems the printed circuit was a little corroded, I cleaned the contacts and they work fine.

I still can't seem to figure out the turn signals. I don't understand why, when they are on, it back feeds my fuse panel and powers on the dash light circuit, which in turn, turns on my dash lights/heater control light.
I pulled the instrument fuse while the turn signal was on and the dash lights went out.

I checked both flashers, they have power.

Also, like I said earlier, there definitely isn't a full 12v going up the column through the blinker and flasher wires.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 15, 11:02 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Did you check the instrumentation ground? The "paperclip" design is notorious for failing or if the screw is not tight enough and many replace it by attaching a length of wire to the pod housing rear or top then attaching the other end direct to the dash frame someplace to give the housing a solid ground all the time.

You can test if that will fix you issue by using a alligator style test lead to add an additional ground to the instrument pod and see how your dash lights act.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 15, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I 'sense' a new harness on the horizon.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 15, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Look closely at the connector in the back of the dash panel. The light blue wire is the left signal, dark blue is the right signal, and gray is the lighting. Make sure the signals are not bleeding into the lighting thru the printed circuit board. Like was said before make sure everything is grounded. Whoever you bought the steering column from might have shorted the signal switch installing it. Another thing as cheap as the flashers are I would replace both of them. Check the grounds up front from the signal lights. If they are connected to the radiator support make sure to use star washers that will dig into the paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode