69 w/gauges GEN warning light question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 15, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

Question 69 w/gauges GEN warning light question

I'm currently installing a used wiring harness that was pulled from a 1969 SS with stock console gauges. It appears that this harness has no provision for a generator warning light- neither of the two wires that would feed it seem to be present in the harness, which looked to be totally intact when I removed it from the car (in 1989, I suppose my memory might not be as good as I think it is!).

Has anyone else run into a situation like this? Would there be any problem with running the car without a GEN warning light, as long as I have a functioning ammeter?

1969 RS Convert ON THE ROAD AT LAST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 15, 12:18 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 69 w/gauges GEN warning light question

The warning light was part and parcel of the standard GM Charging System of that era. The Trinity: Energizer (a.k.a. Battery) Voltage Regulator and the Alternator. The GEN warning light was present in all external regulated GM vehicles regardless of having gauges.

The resistance of the bulb helped the VR keep on track of the system and at the sign of trouble light the bulb even at a flicker.

If I remember right it is bundled as part of the ignition harness not the dash. Pink from fuse - hot in run or start to bulb then brown from bulb to Voltage Regulator position 4 at the end, with brown with white stripe junction back to ignition switch and then fuse panel. If I can find the diagram I'll post it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 15, 12:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Found it. Quick scan photo and the full PDF attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charging details.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	124105   Charging System.pdf  

Last edited by 69-Pace; Sep 28th, 15 at 04:21 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 15, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

Thumbs up Re: 69 w/gauges GEN warning light question

Thanks for the fast help and great diagram. I'll search a bit more for the wires of that circuit. If they really aren't there I'll set up the circuit and warning light myself.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 15, 03:05 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah it is easy to do if it is not there especially if you have the socket already in the cluster.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 15, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
Al

It isn't really a socket. Hard to describe, but each of the two wires that feed the bulb has a small metal clip crimped onto the end of it. These metal clips each snap into the bulb housing which makes a weird kind of socket If the OP can't find his, PM me - I think I have those parts on a donor harness in the attic, which he can have.

i believe that the brown/white resistor wire on the diagram also plays a role in this circuit - possibly there to satisfy resistance if the bulb burns out.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 15, 07:31 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

You are possibly right on the rating of the wire as I seem to remember some trick in stringing a replacement. Or placing a resistor block in the series to compensate.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 15, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

Smile Re: 69 w/gauges GEN warning light question

I have two partial wiring harnesses from no-gauge cars, so I should have no problem with finding the correct wires and connectors.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 15, 01:46 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

ok

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 15, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

I may have an odd wiring harness here! I have unwound the tape and inspected it from end to end. It appears to be completely unmolested by any previous owner (I've had it since 1984!). There is no trace of the 16 BRN wire from the firewall connector to the GEN light- no sign of being clipped off from the lug in the connector which does have the 24 BRN/W to the ignition switch in place. There is no clipped 20 P that would have gone to the other side of the GEN light. Here is something just as odd-- there are TWO 12 R wires coming to the ignition switch! Back in the harness where the hot, incoming 12 R is spliced to the 12 R's to the fuse block and light switch, there is an additional 12 R spliced in that also runs to the ignition switch. It goes to the connector between the 12 P and the 12 PPL/W.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 15, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

Further evidence-- there are no indications that any connectors have even been inserted in the black plastic housing of the GEN light position- uniform even coating of old dust where the connectors at the end of the wires should have once been if this harness included a GEN light circuit.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 15, 12:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Well Duke try this - look at your bulkhead connector. The factory position for the two GEN light wires is in the Light connector side position DU for both the 16 gauge brown and the 24 gauge brown with white stripe. So its the top row next to the main red 12 gauge power feed. Also look at your Voltage Regulator harness plug. The fourth position on the end is the brown wire's home.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 15, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

on the inside of the bulkhead connector, the slot position in question has only the 24 BRN/W wire running to it, there is no clipped off second wire that would have been the 16 BRN. The little press fitting connector is not designed for a second wire. On the engine bay side, the corresponding exiting wire is a 16 BRN that does go to the voltage regulator, as shown on wiring schematics.

I know I can wire this up correctly by making the appropriate additions, but it is very difficult to imagine why it appears to have been set up this way in the first place. Any thoughts on the second 12 R running to the ignition switch?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 15, 07:57 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I went through my archives, and it is funny I found an instruction sheet for and AAW Factory-fit line gauge conversion harness that must be at least ten years old, and it makes no mention of the GEN light for 69. However if you download a new version it tells you to remove the bulb for 1969. The resistance of the bulb helps excite the alternator if I remember right, so removing it would limit the charging conditions to only at higher rpms I think.

I looked my original 69 owners manual, the gen light is listed with no exceptions, but it clearly states that the fuel warning is only for vehicles with optional console gauges, so if it wasn't there on gauge cars I'm sure it would have stated so. The wiring diagrams I have for consoles all show the GEN light circuit intact. The shop manuals I have all refer to the GEN lite being the single warning to VR or Alternator failure or problems. Its pouring rain here so I'm going to have to wait till morning to try to figure our where the harness is on mine. In the meantime here is a wiring diagram of a vehicle with gauges, and a full body wiring diagram also showing the two wires enter the bulkhead and the single out.

It has been years since I ripped apart an original harness, or converted a vehicle to gauges but I never remember any mid to late 60's, or early 70's GM without a working generator light.

In the photo you can see the left side, top row, second position DU has two wires entering from the fuse panel side. This is from a Chevelle but the location was standard on all GM's of that era that used this panel and bulkhead connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Instrument Panel with Gauges.pdf   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-21_233659_69camarowiringdiagramfull.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	124625   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230002.JPG
Views:	1087
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	124633  

Last edited by 69-Pace; Oct 1st, 15 at 08:10 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 15, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

Thanks so much for your valuable inputs on this matter. Today I dissected a spare original dash harness for a 1969 without gauges and removed the wires for the GEN circuit, and transplanted them into my harness. This gave me a good look at the spade terminal in the bulkhead connector of both harnesses. They were certainly different, the one for the non-gauge car had a wide crimping area to accommodate two wires, and the from my oddball harness did not. Why this was so will probably remain a mystery. Now for figuring out why there is the extra 12 R feed to the ignition switch!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode