Right Turn signal caused entire dash to flash. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 15, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67
Right Turn signal caused entire dash to flash.

Whoooa! I fired up my 67 the other day and when I use the right turn signal the entire dash starts to flash. The turn signal lights themselves do not turn on. Sounds like a bad ground or a bad switch or something? Could this be something grounding out inside the steering column or could it be something else? Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this electrical demon?

1967 Convertible SS 350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 15, 03:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Re: Right Turn signal caused entire dash to flash.

Maybe disconnect the harness at the column get your meter out and check for shorts in the column when you move the blinker lever,once that checks good move down the rest of the harness.
At least that's where I might start.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 15, 03:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

It could be a bad bulb, where the contacts in the bulb are touching causing the power to back feed into the dash harness. The taillights, marker, park, and dash are all on the same circuit. I have also heard of LED bulbs causing the same issue.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 15, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67

I don't think it is the bulbs as I have converted to the LED digitail tail lights. Haven't had an issue for several years up to this point. I have a feeling that you are correct in that someplace the circuit is getting grounded. The question is where. I thought I would start with the steering column since that is the thing that is always moving and could cause a wire to ground out but I think I will check all my wiring as well as the digitail lights for ground issues since they are easier to get to. Any other thoughts fellas?

1967 Convertible SS 350

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 15, 08:04 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

67 & 68 are notorious for failed dash instrument cluster grounds. The original design is a metal paperclip like device at the top mounting point. Tighten this connection by the high beam indicator up and see if problem goes away. If it does consider that many people have added a real ground wire from the cluster housing to the dash frame to make a real maintainable ground.

It could also be the ground of the front right parking lamp as well.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 15, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampstoyz View Post
It could be a bad bulb, where the contacts in the bulb are touching causing the power to back feed into the dash harness. The taillights, marker, park, and dash are all on the same circuit. I have also heard of LED bulbs causing the same issue.
Bad bulb. I agree. I have had this happen more then once.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 15, 07:16 AM
Retired
Jim

Id vote for ground issues too. Just guessing but Id wager that 80% of elec. gremlins are ground issues. Get a bag of star washers and some sand paper and touch up any grounding points you can reach, clean it up, sand it, star washer it, then replace bolt or screw.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode