Classic Industries Gauge Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Classic Industries Gauge Questions

My fuel gauge shows above full all the time, chased the wire from sender unit at gas tank to the back of the gauge. What they "original owner" have wired to back of gauge is not the same wire as sender wire. Is that the problem?
My speedometer on my turbo 350 transmission doesn't work either. The car has something screwed into the transmission and then there is 3 wires plugged into that. It is all by Classic Industries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Classic Industries Gauge Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rls8836 View Post
My fuel gauge shows above full all the time, chased the wire from sender unit at gas tank to the back of the gauge. What they "original owner" have wired to back of gauge is not the same wire as sender wire. Is that the problem?
My speedometer on my turbo 350 transmission doesn't work either. The car has something screwed into the transmission and then there is 3 wires plugged into that. It is all by Classic Industries.
The fuel gauge sounds like it is not getting a signal from the sender. When you chased down the wire from sender unit at gas tank to the back of the gauge, was there at any point along this line that had a connection ?. If there was, take a short piece of wire and have the one end of this wire grounded to the body of the car. Now take the other end of this wire and connect it to this connection spot basically shorting the sender wire to ground. Now turn on the ignition switch and see if the gauge needle swings to empty or below. If it does, then disconnect this jumper wire and the gauge needle should swing to above full. If it does these two things, then from that point forward is good in the car. You then have to work towards the rear of the car. On the sender make sure the connections are good and that the sender is also grounded with a dedicated ground wire off of the sender going to a clean bare metal spot on the car. You could also have a bad sender which can be confirmed by pulling it out of the tank.

If this doesn't help, I believe there is some info on the site about troubleshooting the fuel gauge so you might have to do a search.

As far as the part screwed into the tranny with three wires, then this sounds like it would wire to an electronic speedometer and you will need to get more info as to the model of the speedometer and possibly the sender in the side of the tranny. With it all by classic industries that info is just too vague as they are a distributor and not a manufacturer.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 15, 01:03 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Classic Industries Gauge Questions

The troubleshooter for dead fuel gauge is a sticky in the electrical forum. Link below. Run the Gas Gauge failure troubleshooter to tell if the gauge is dead or if it is wiring or the sender unit. Otherwise your chasing your tail until you know the gauge swings from past full to past empty. If the gauge fails it's a bad gauge. If you get full sweep then its down to if its a sender issue or a wiring issue.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195833

Yeah sounds like a digital converter for an electronic speedometer hanging on your transmission. So if your speedometer looks like the factory original or as a reproduction and has the nipple on the rear for the cable then it is an analogue speedometer. So if thats the case then at one time there was a different speedometer set in place or a converter was attached that is now missing.

This was an over the counter kit sold at one time in the 90's to "modernize" analogue speedos or to help folks smooth firewalls by removing the cable. These units hung on the nipple of any analogue speedo that interpreted digital signal from a wired or wireless sender mounted on the trans. A DC motor that ran the analogue speedo worked the analogue side of the gauge. They took up space and made a whining noise a lot of the time. Think JC Whitney sold them back in the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode