Heater control wiring - two yellow wires (67 w/AC) - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 15, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Barry

Heater control wiring - two yellow wires (67 w/AC)

Anyone know what the two yellow wires in a dual spade connector go to that are part of the wiring loom right by the heater control switch? They are right next to the 4 wire fan control connector and there is nothing in the area that they can connect to. One spade has just under 10v when the fan is on Low and Med and about 11v when on high. The other spade has 11v regardless of L/M/H. Both have zero volts when the fan switch is off.

The AC wiring diagram does show a connector with a yellow and brown connector that attaches to a position sensor switch on the vent control. The heater control assembly I have does not have the position sensor switch and the wires I'm asking about are both yellow.

Not sure if this is related but the fan motor only runs on two speeds. Low and Med are the same speed and the fan rpm increases when switched to High.

Any experts with ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 15, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Heater control wiring - two yellow wires (67 w/AC)

Could it be the Part #1?
Attached Thumbnails
1967 Heater.pdf  

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 15, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Barry

thx for the reply. I should have mentioned that in the post that there is another set of wires already connected to the vacuum pod that's attached to the control assy. So my mystery yellow wires don't go there. The really odd part (I think) is that they both have power when the fan is on. I can't imagine what that might be the power source to.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 16, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Barry,

The two wires (which are a yellow and dark green) that attach to part #1 (vacuum switch) in the diagram control the compressor when the temperature control lever is moved to the two cold positions (either outside air re-circulate or inside air re-circulate).

The two yellow wires you are referring to go to a blower switch which was activated by moving the same temperature control switch. That switch's mounting location was very close to the actual fan blower speed control switch. In February of '67 that switch was deleted. What is your build date?

Pages C60, e7 and e8 of the AIM show modifying the original harness and notes about deleting wires and connectors. The terminology of some components on these two pages is confusing to me (it's as though two different people wrote about the modification and call the components by different names).

When purchasing a new blower fan speed switch (off, low, med, hi) most catalogues refer to an early A/C car, or the later built cars. Both of these switches are different because of the additional fan switch of the early cars.

Your fan speed problem may be the two yellow wires, but I suspect that your blower resistor group mounted in the A/C plenum under the hood may have a loose or broken resistor, or a loose fitting plug to that resistor group.

I have an 11a Norwood 67 with A/C. I'll check on the wiring harness and the heater - A/C control unit and look for this switch and set up. (The car is totally torn down now).
It will be a couple of days before I get back to you due to the holidays.

Steve
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 16, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Barry

Thanks Steve. I think that explains it. The build date was Nov 1967 so I'm sure that's it. I didn't catch the note in the AIM but, you're right, it's not all that clear. The note says it was eliminated but they don't show the 2 yellow wires in the diagram.

We took over the restoration after the car was torn down so we got it as a basket case. Unfortunately we didn't have the opportunity to mark things during the tear down.

Thanks again for your help.
Barry
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 16, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Barry

Sorry, the build date was Nov 1966 (not 67). That conflicts with the AIM date that this switch was eliminated (Feb 67) but it does match what I'm seeing. There is no 2 pin connector by the fan switch on this car. I've taped up the end of the connector and buttoned things up.
thx.... Barry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 16, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Barry,

After getting to my wiring harness and heater / AC control unit, I found that a brown 14 and yellow 16 go to the temperature lever actuated blower switch. (I'm working on getting pictures posted, but having problems with my scanner). Anyway, does your speed selector switch (off, low, med, hi) have a brown 14 wire going to it along with a yellow 16, light blue 16, and an orange 18?

If it does, someone has already removed a yellow 16 from the multi connector to the speed selector switch and placed the brown 14 where the second yellow 16 was. That will leave two yellow 16 wires in the vicinity of where these two switches are supposed to be on your Nov. '66 harness.

All the yellows in this harness are the same wire. Just cap off your two yellow spares, or trace them into the harness and clip them at the solder and crimp joint (again, pictures are coming). Hope this helps.

Steve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 16, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Barry

Steve, unfortunately I've already buttoned up the center section of the dash so I can't confirm the wire colors going to the blower switch. Pretty sure they matched the 4-wire connector in the wiring diagram or that would have caught my attention (16Y, 18OR, 16LBL, 16Y).

I did tape off the end of the mystery 2 wire connector and it appears everything is working on the blower (except for low and medium speeds being the same). If something doesn't work right with the AC (once I get it charged) I'll probably start with these two wires.

I appreciate your feedback!!
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode