67 RS Headlight Door Grimlin - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67 RS Headlight Door Grimlin

Need help on 67 RS headlight door system. Searched till I'm searched out.
Everything works perfectly, except every 14 seconds there is a pluse in the left door that lasts
for just an instant. I changed out the complete relay board with a new one. Same thing. New wiring harness. Checking grounds at this point. Does it only with lights on (key-off or key-on, or key-on motor running). System has worked great in past, but now started this plusing. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry, Jason & Jake<BR>The MooreBoys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 09:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: 67 RS Headlight Door Grimlin

The friction washers on a motor shaft may not be tight enough to keep a constant pressure on the limit switch.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 09:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Here is how I would approach it:
Loosen the washer to allow it to slip and see if it still pauses momentarily.
If so then it can be one of two things.
1- The gearbox has some mechanical issue and jamming up. Maybe it needs to just be cleaned providing there are no stripped gears.
2- There is a rectangular box under the black heat-shrink wrapping on the motor housing. In that housing is a thermo breaker (if memory serves me correctly) that interrupts the motor power due to the headlight cover jamming (ex: frozen shut).
If it doesn't pause after loosening the washer, then it can simply be slippage by not enough friction on the washer as suggested in a recent reply.

Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech
George

It could be that the limit switch is bad or intermittent. It might not be sensing the door open all the time making it pulse. Also, it could be some adjustment or wear causing intermittent contact with the switch as others have noted. I would try some sort of pad or shim on the switch to see if that makes a difference. Then if youre sure of the problem you can change whatever parts are needed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replys. i will check it out.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 16, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

IF your looking stay stock that's one thing. You might want to look into the retro electric conversion system if your not concerned about stock. It is all electronic and does not use limit switches, control boards etc.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 16, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The mechanicals seem to be ok. Headlight system works. It opens and closes correctly. What ever the cause (havent found it yet) is tripping the circuit breaker over and over. Test light on circuit braker shows hot all time. When headlight switch is pulled on, the lights come on and doors open, then the circuit breaker starts tripping. Test light shows no power till circuit breaker trips and then has power only for an instant. Still thinking short but cant find one. Bad circuit breaker?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 16, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
It could be that the limit switch is bad or intermittent. It might not be sensing the door open all the time making it pulse. Also, it could be some adjustment or wear causing intermittent contact with the switch as others have noted. I would try some sort of pad or shim on the switch to see if that makes a difference. Then if youre sure of the problem you can change whatever parts are needed.
Found problem. LH limit switch on rad support had been installed with the ground on top. When button was activated it made a direct short and tripped breaker. Turned switch over in it's mounting, ground and 2 blues on botton, purple on top........it works correctly. Thanks for pointing me toward a limit switch fix.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooreboys View Post
Found problem. LH limit switch on rad support had been installed with the ground on top. When button was activated it made a direct short and tripped breaker. Turned switch over in it's mounting, ground and 2 blues on botton, purple on top........it works correctly. Thanks for pointing me toward a limit switch fix.
Great, glad you got it sorted out. I know how frustrating it can be dealing with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode