68 Camaro cranks but won't start - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 16, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
68 Camaro cranks but won't start

Hey guys,
I just got my SS Restomod last month. It has a restored 350ci 4 speed. I only take the car out when the weather is nice (1-2 a week). I had zero issues when starting the car until today. I took the car out, went to the gym then lunch all good. I left to get coffee and stopped on the side of the road waiting for a friend, the car was on neutral...the rpm started dropping and the engine died. I tried cranking the car several times, pumping the gas...nothing.

A bystander said he was a mechanic, we popped the hood unscrewed the carburetor to hold the choke while I crank it again (btw minimal smoke or fumes were coming out from the choke throttle)...still nothing. I'm a newbie and I have no experience here, but the guy said something about too much fuel not enough air and to let the car sit for a while.

I left the car for around 45 mins, came back to crank it. first time, nothing...my second time I turned the ignition kept it cranking for a good 15 seconds because i felt it coming back to life...pumped a little gas and it finally turned on and threw fumes out of the exhaust. It drove fine all the way home.

I'm now worried to take the car out and have it happen again on a main road. I've contacted a classic auto repair shop (Jamie's one stop auto shop, in MA) that was referred by the dealership I bought the car from. I will definitely take the car for a full checkup, but any advice on what to do next time or what you think the sudden cause of this is from ? Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 16, 02:59 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 68 Camaro cranks but won't start

Majj - A common error is flooding the engine by pumping the pedal.

When in doubt push the pedal to the floor and hold it there and crank until it catches or 30 seconds which ever is first. If it takes more than on try, keep your foot to the floor while waiting to try the start again. This will clear the throat of fuel that flooded her.

The reasons she stalled out on you could be many. Momentary clog of the fuel line or system, or an electrical issue with the ignition.

Fuel system issues could be junk in the tank got sucked around the fuel pickup inlet, or if you now have electronic fuel pump. You stall the junk falls off or away. Could also be bad float or settings in the carburetor, or it was boil-off of the fuel caused by hot intake.

Can't see in your photo if it has the standard factory style points or has been updated to HEI system, but it could be coil failure. Could be loose or damaged wiring.

So we need a little more information about her to help you troubleshoot it. You might consider putting the basic information in your signature so we alsways know what she has under the hood.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 16, 03:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

You need three things to run the motor to check for: air, gas and spark.
Air- Air is a given
Gas- You can see and smell gas? Giving the accelerator a push should show a squirt of gas into the carb. No gas then either a bad case of vapor lock or a bad fuel pump.
Spark- Pull any plug wire, insert a screw driver or any metal item into the boot and place close to but not touching ground. And don't hold it! Leave about 1/2" gap. Crank motor and you should see a nice healthy blueish spark with a 'snap'.
If you have no spark or it is yellow, then the coil may be going bad or the points (if it has them) need burnishing or the condenser next to the points shorts out internally when hot. Based on what you have or have not above, that will determine where to start looking. This is all of course based on nothing else coming lose like the distributor.

Good luck!
Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 16, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

My money would be on a too much fuel issue causing a flooded condition.

Need to youtube checking the float level on that Holley, that would be an easy start any way.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 16, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

What ignition system are you running? I am thinking something stupid like a ground wire if it has fuel.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I'm sorry if I left out any info on my car. I started another thread a while ago about the car and the unfortunate situation. Here's the link (https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=374273) I'll briefly explain again here..I have no experience with classic muscle and really wanted this after falling in love with it and taken it for a test drive.

It was previously owned by someone who did a full restomod on this 1968 Camaro SS. The dealership I bought the car from had very little knowledge on what was done to the car since the owner did not give them a detailed list on what has been done to the car, other than what he spent on it ($80K) and it having a restored 350ci small block, transmission, suspension and brakes.

So I do not know any more details, I tried having the dealership contact the owner to bring me back a detailed restoration list with parts. That's okay because I'm planning to do future work on this car like new engine etc.. for now I decided to take the car soon to a classic car workshop to do a full checkup and find out what has been done to it exactly.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested, hold throttle to the floor as carburetor was flooded.
Set fuel levels in bowls
Increase spark plug heat by one number, i.e., if running an AC plug 44, then install a 45.
Spark plug manufacturer will have a chart of how their plug numbers run.
If present engine has been rebuilt, why a new one?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Doing a good job is like peeing in your dark pants you get a warm feeling, but nobody notices
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
As suggested, hold throttle to the floor as carburetor was flooded.
Set fuel levels in bowls
Increase spark plug heat by one number, i.e., if running an AC plug 44, then install a 45.
Spark plug manufacturer will have a chart of how their plug numbers run.
If present engine has been rebuilt, why a new one?

It doesn't have AC. New engine For more power later on maybe ls swap, more modern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

If I take more detailed photos of my engine, will some of you know whats been done? What aftermarket modifications?

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
John

Holley carb. Very sensitive to dirt in the needle valve, which will cause the exact problem you are having. Are there fuel filter(s) installed?

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Pictures are not going to really show much of anything, except accesories or upgraded alternator, ignition system etc. Most engine work is in the engine, cam, piston, valves, rockers etc. if was over bored ect. are all hidden, you could pop a valve cover and see thing such as rockers and things of that nature, but not really much to tell ya what is really going on build wise.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 02:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Majj,

What you experienced was a carburetor flooding problem. Why it flooded is the question you want to answer.

That photo of the engine suggests your fuel line runs from the rear of the intake manifold which also suggests you have an electric fuel pump. If that is the case, you should have a regulator and should determine what psi it is set for.

You also need to know if there is a filter somewhere on this line. Ask the shop to determine these things, set the regulator pressure to 5psi and set the float levels in the Holley carb. Also ask them for your carb "list number". That way you know exactly what carb it is. This stuff would be standard tune up details for this car.

While there, ask them about your ignition system also. They will tell you if the distributor is still running the standard points system(unlikely) or electronic ignition, full time vacuum advance or not and what your initial timing is set at.

Ask them for all these details. Write them down. They come up over and over again in troubleshooting these old cars.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Majj,

What you experienced was a carburetor flooding problem. Why it flooded is the question you want to answer.

That photo of the engine suggests your fuel line runs from the rear of the intake manifold which also suggests you have an electric fuel pump. If that is the case, you should have a regulator and should determine what psi it is set for.

You also need to know if there is a filter somewhere on this line. Ask the shop to determine these things, set the regulator pressure to 5psi and set the float levels in the Holley carb. Also ask them for your carb "list number". That way you know exactly what carb it is. This stuff would be standard tune up details for this car.

While there, ask them about your ignition system also. They will tell you if the distributor is still running the standard points system(unlikely) or electronic ignition, full time vacuum advance or not and what your initial timing is set at.

Ask them for all these details. Write them down. They come up over and over again in troubleshooting these old cars.

I will write all the details down to ask the shop, Thanks a lot for the help !
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 12:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by majj35 View Post
It doesn't have AC. New engine For more power later on maybe ls swap, more modern

He was talking about AC delco spark plugs,not Airconditioning.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 16, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

More Issues keep showing up, haven't had the chance to take it for a checkup yet. Been busy with finals, graduation and job hunting. Hopefully all done next month. Other than the crank wont start which happened twice, here's a few more issues ive noticed since then:

-3rd gear issue
On highway, was on third gear and it suddenly unhooked to Neutral and won't shift back to 3rd, as if something is blocking. Same happens if i try to move from 4th to 3rd, which ive done twice only. I normally wait to slow down completely and got to 2nd.

-loss of torque:
Up until last month, whenever i would press down on the gas pedal, power decreased, and if i press harder as if the car chokes and picksup suddenly. Best example is how driving an automatic car and pressing down on pedal to accelerate, that lag that happens and quickly hooking on lower gear.

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
68 camaro, crank, ignition, spark, won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode