1969 Camaro Alternator Confusion - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BPOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

1969 Camaro Alternator Confusion

Guys,

I need some help.
So over the past couple weeks I have had issues starting the engine, the battery would all ways seem to be dead so I would put the automatically controlled charger on it at night and it would start in the morning, until a couple days ago when I went out removed the battery charger and got in the car, turned the key and the battery exploded! What a mess, rinsed everything down with water powered it with baking soda and went and bought a new battery.

I initially put the battery and the starter would not turn, so I pulled the starter and replaced it (had lifetime warranty so it was free) the guy at the auto parts store said the start had a direct short which is what I saw when I metered it out.

New start in still no starter activity. Pulled the wiring plug on the alternator and bingo the start turns. So I am thinking that the alternator got fried in the battery explosion.

So I start looking for a new alternator, the one that was in the car when I bought it was a Delco-Remy 1100588 which has been replaced with part number 20039. My confusion is I have a external regulator (solid state) that I installed last fall, but the description of the 20039 states that this alternator has an internal regulator.

Fan TypeExternalNumber of Pulley Grooves1Output63 AmpsRegulator Plug Position3:00Regulator TypeInternalRotationClockwiseVoltage12V
So is this the wrong alternator altogether and if so what should I be buying? Part number???

Thanks,

Joe

1969 Camaro V8 Base Model, Black w/White Rally Stripes, 350 HO w/ FiTech Go 4 600, HEI, 700r4 trans, 10 Bolt 4:10 Rear End, 15" Rally Wheels, 245/60/15 Rear, 235/60/15 Front

Non stop fun from 0 to 90 mph!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: 1969 Camaro Alternator Confusion

Go to a different parts store. You want a 10dn alternator. 10dn is the series, not the part number. Plug is on the back, like this: http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/images/7122R.jpg Standard equip was 37A, I believe the big boy was 61A
BRICO69 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

I see the Externally Regulated alternator is a 20169 part number. That is a 10DN alternator. I believe the 20039 alternator is a 10SI.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICO69 View Post
I see the Externally Regulated alternator is a 20169 part number. That is a 10DN alternator. I believe the 20039 alternator is a 10SI.
So what do you think the chances are that the solid state regulator is cooked too? $$$$$$$

-Joe

1969 Camaro V8 Base Model, Black w/White Rally Stripes, 350 HO w/ FiTech Go 4 600, HEI, 700r4 trans, 10 Bolt 4:10 Rear End, 15" Rally Wheels, 245/60/15 Rear, 235/60/15 Front

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

It could be cooked. I don't know how to test one. Maybe you can search that on this site. I am pretty sure you can have it tested for free at Autozone, O'Reilleys etc... If you replace it, I think most stores carry the Wells 715 model. I have had good luck with those. If you have to have a Delco Remy.....$$$$$ for a rebuilt.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 03:19 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

If it is a Wells AirTex unit you can test using the same test you did during the installation.

Quote:
With ignition key off, unplug regulator. A defective alternator will destroy your new voltage regulator. Using an Ohmmeter check resistance on the F terminal of the wire harness to the ground. If less than 2.5 ohms, check the alternator.
If ok connect the harness, start the car. Check voltage at the battery. Should be between 13.8 and 14.8 at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

If it is dead $9.00 bucks on RockAuto for the AIRTEX / WELLS 5K3 Solid state with high hat cover, $16 for the Generic VR103T sold under their Standard Motors moniker for over the counter rackers. And $25.00 for the short cover AIRTEX / WELLS 1V1038 unit.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...gulator%2C4884

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Apr 22nd, 16 at 03:39 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
If it is a Wells AirTex unit you can test using the same test you did during the installation.

If ok connect the harness, start the car. Check voltage at the battery. Should be between 13.8 and 14.8 at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

If it is dead $9.00 bucks on RockAuto for the AIRTEX / WELLS 5K3 Solid state with high hat cover, $16 for the Generic VR103T sold under their Standard Motors moniker for over the counter rackers. And $25.00 for the short cover AIRTEX / WELLS 1V1038 unit.

1969 CHEVROLET CAMARO 5.7L 350cid V8 Voltage Regulator | RockAuto
Well at least there is some good new, tested the regulator and it seems to be fine with 2.7 ohms so I think if I get a new alternator I will be okay.

Thanks to everyone for all your help. I will let you know what happens.

-Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode