67 under hood light and mystery wire - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 16, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lane

67 under hood light and mystery wire

The under hood light has been discussed several times,but all the pictures are gone. Does anyone have a pic of location and wire.

Also, I have a orange wire, looks like it goes into the harness at passenger side starter then i assume it goes back down the gutter then fuse box? The end I dont know where or what its for has a female spade connector with a rubber boot, it looks like the one that goes to the fan motor, but the fan works. It goes to a relay on top of the a/c box.
Just curious, solid orange, and its hot.
RS with air
Thanks in advance
Lane

1967 Camaro RS 327/PG
1969 Camaro 327/M20
1969 Camaro 454/PG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 16, 10:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: 67 under hood light and mystery wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by faslane View Post
The under hood light has been discussed several times,but all the pictures are gone. Does anyone have a pic of location and wire.

Also, I have a orange wire, looks like it goes into the harness at passenger side starter then i assume it goes back down the gutter then fuse box? The end I dont know where or what its for has a female spade connector with a rubber boot, it looks like the one that goes to the fan motor, but the fan works. It goes to a relay on top of the a/c box.
Just curious, solid orange, and its hot.
RS with air
Thanks in advance
Lane
It sounds like a curtesy or Dom light wire. But that wouldn't be under the hood.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 12:13 AM
Senior Tech
George

Ive got that same wire, just as youve described it, on my 67 rs with air. Its just sitting there hanging out of the wire gutter on the firewall. For some other option or left over from the standard heater. The ac has its own harness that replaced the standard one but I think it left that wire for the standard blower. I also have the underhood light. It is a black wire that starts from the horn relay. There is a white plastic fuse holder behind the washer bottle by the rs relay board. The wire continues under the fender wire tied to the main harness. It works its way behind the master cylinder then under the hood insulation to the light.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 12:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
Ive got that same wire, just as youve described it, on my 67 rs with air. Its just sitting there hanging out of the wire gutter on the firewall. For some other option or left over from the standard heater. The ac has its own harness that replaced the standard one but I think it left that wire for the standard blower. I also have the underhood light. It is a black wire that starts from the horn relay. There is a white plastic fuse holder behind the washer bottle by the rs relay board. The wire continues under the fender wire tied to the main harness. It works its way behind the master cylinder then under the hood insulation to the light.
If that wire is left over from the standard heater it should not be hot. I do think that the heater wire is the only orange wire in a Camaro that is not battery. By battery I mean hot all the time, key on or off.

Jeff
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
If that wire is left over from the standard heater it should not be hot. I do think that the heater wire is the only orange wire in a Camaro that is not battery. By battery I mean hot all the time, key on or off.

Jeff
I may of had the ac on when i checked, will check it today and see when its hot.
Thanks guys, still would like to see a pic of the light, this car has everything but it was coiled/wrapped up and shoved under master cylinder
Thanks again
Lane
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As requested from 67 AIM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 under Hood Light1.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	146729   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 Under Hood Light2.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	146737  

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
George

I think that orange wire will be hot with the key in acc or run. It may have fed a relay for the standard heater. Like I said the ac cars have their own harness for everything that comes out of a special hole in the firewall that isnt there on the standard heater cars. That wire is a leftover or redundant wire from the standard harness. Im not sure exactly how it was used but due to its heavier gauge I suspect it fed the blower motor somehow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 11:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
I think that orange wire will be hot with the key in acc or run. It may have fed a relay for the standard heater. Like I said the ac cars have their own harness for everything that comes out of a special hole in the firewall that isnt there on the standard heater cars. That wire is a leftover or redundant wire from the standard harness. Im not sure exactly how it was used but due to its heavier gauge I suspect it fed the blower motor somehow.
I get myself in trouble when I shoot from the hip. I was going off memory of a 69 that I haven't looked at wiring on in 20 years.

I checked the 67 AIM wiring diagram to confim this.
Standard heater is fed by a 14 Gage Purple wire.
no relay is used for high speed blower. Low and Medium are resistored and high is full battery voltage.

I think Everette has nailed it with his pictures of the under hood light.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode