Pertronix and tach - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Question

Just curious to see if anyone with a tach has installed the pertronix ignition and did the tach work OK?

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 00, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I can't believe that out of all you Camaro owners out there, that someone doesn't have a pertronix ignition and is using a tach. Someone has to have one!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 00, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

Yes you can use the Pertronix w/ a tach. I'm not exactly sure how. I suggest that you go to our sister site Team Chevelle message board and choose the search feature. Then search for Pertronix. I think it is under the electrical and wireing or perhaps the Chevelle Tech.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
My Father's 1968 RS 327!
My First Generation Camaro site

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 00, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
John

I have a 69 Z with factory tach. I installed a pertronix and had absolutely no problem with the tach....
John
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 00, 05:47 AM

Per-junk-tronix drives the tach same as stock, from the coil negative wire. No big thing, Per-trash-ix is same output and poor-formance as points. No gain in spark energy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 00, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
John

Gee, I get the feeling IgnitionMan don't like the pertronix from those very subtle hints he dropped. I only installed one because I wanted to try running a "electronic ignition" in my restored 69 Z/28 and did not want some "box" mounted to my firewall. I like the fact that the pertronix was all hidden under the distributor cap with the exception of one extra wire comming from the distributor. I can't say I've noticed any difference in performance, but not having to check the dwell and replace point again will be kinda nice...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 00, 04:54 AM

X77D80,

I share your idea about keeping a stock appearance; I've considered replacing the points on the original distributor in my Corvette with the Pertronix system.

IgnitionMan, can you recommend a better points-replacement solution, without adding external circuitry, than the "Per-junk-tronix"?

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/dmdirks/Automotive.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 00, 03:05 PM
Tech Team

I have a 69z w factory tach pertronix work ok.... I read a bunch of stuff here about people having trouble with the pertronix units... kind of made me feel like I shouldn't have installed it.... Its been working fine.... Sane as MR x77 I wanted a stock appearance without the point hassle...I called Pertronix this am and talked with their tech person They said low failure rate and usually from incorrect installation someone said on another reply to wire the Pertronix into the dist side of the ballest resistor to entend life of unit.... Pertroninx said the the low voltage on that side isnt enough for their unit to trigger properly
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 00, 05:38 PM

Directly reversed from their information sent with the units. They were all designed to run with ballast resistor, using them with full battery voltage is overvolting them. Plain and simple.

I see some Pertronix techs there trying to make the Ignitor into a performance unit it will never be. Don't know why they cannot play it straight with people and let the units work like they were made to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode