Distributer Won't Fit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

I'm have swapped a 427 in my 68 RS and it's ready to fire except I can't get my Mallory Unilite distributer to fit down into the oil pump. It's not an alignment problem (my other HEI fits fine). I'm thinking of filing the edges of the metal bar, on the bottom of the unit, to help slide into the oil pump slot? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 07:34 AM

Hello Doug. Did you buy the Unilite new? Did they give you the right one? I would call them directly. Looking in my Summit catalog, they only have two different units for the Chevy (mech/vac adv). Never heard of that one before. What about your oil pump driveshaft? New? Mellings perhaps? I would at least pull out the oil pump shaft and try to get a better idea of how the distributor fits into/onto the shaft. Filing is the last thing that I would do. At least until your absolutely sure that you have to do it.

Welcome and enjoy the site

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear (soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

[This message has been edited by Judd (edited 10-23-2002).]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Tall block 427 truck motor distributor in a car 427 block? Height difference between the 2 is about 3/4".

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

The unilite came out of my 350 and is a vac adv model. Mallory does not list a different unit for small vs big blocks. The original HEI shaft is the same length as the unilite but I need to check the diameter of the bottom two pilot rings with a micrometer. I think this may it because the housing does not want to rotate (very stiff) after the gear is engaged. Why would the pilot rings (located just above the gear) be different? FYI, the HEI I'm comparing the unilite with was from the 427.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Doug, it's not uncommon to have to remove a little material from the "rings".

Just take some medium/fine crocus cloth or whatever, and remove a little by hand. It doesn't take much.

BTW, welcome from another Colo Spgs member.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

I compared the pilot ring diameters and the unilite is slightly larger. I'll go with your suggestion. I'll let you if I'm successful.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Is there a chance the oil pump driveshaft is for a small block. I was going to ues a big block oil pump in my small block. I did'nt install a big block oil pump driveshaft. The distributor (a new MSD) would go in about 1/8 inch shy of being seated down. The larger big block pump with the longer small block driveshaft caused this. My new MSD was also a tight fit. Hope its an easy fix.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

[This message has been edited by HOTROD69CAMARO (edited 10-25-2002).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Success! I did a combination of two things. First, I did a SLIGHT bit of sanding to the pilot rings. This eliminated the binding but still did not drop down completly. Next, I used my drimmel and barely chamfered both edges of the oil pump driver. Bingo, dropped right in. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode