Figuring out what alternator I have??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 05, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I bought my car with a delco remy alternator already on it. Im trying to figure out if its externally regulated or if its a internal. The only numbers on it are 9129-12VNEG The back of the case has 12-4 on it. It has the R-F plug and a battery and ground terminal. Please help me figure out what I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 05, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

on the drivers side radiator support is there a box with electrical connectors going to it?
if so its externally regulated.
if your inclined to convert it here is a link:
https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

The voltage regulator was not there, but the wiring was not converted over either. I just need to figure out what type of alternator this is so I can go ahead and convert over the wiring.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 05:16 AM
Guess

Does this help?
https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...9.html?#000001

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

that helps alot. thanks guys
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 12:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If the connector on the alternator is like this: II it's external

If it's like this: - - it's internal

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

looks like mine is a external. DAGGGGG. Think Im taking a trip to autozone soon to find a internal. Anyone know of any models that will work.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

any will work, but it ain't automatic, unless you get a one wire, and some have had trouble with those, also a one wire would kill your gen light if you care.

To use an internal, you need to switch the connector that plugs into the alternator, and put a bypass plug on the connector for the regulator. (it's 4 wires in a row, and flat) These parts are readily available, I think Ricks even has. Also check out madelectrical.com

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 05, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Ive already wired the car Via Dave Possi's website for the voltage regulator. I just need to know what car to use when I ask my local autozone guy for the internal alternator.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 02:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, how bout a 75 monte carlo?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to give that a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode