Which harness do I use? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am converting from a 6cyl to a v-8 and am not going to use the idiot lights, but will be adding gauges. Would it be better to use the gauge harness even though I am not useing the stock factory gauges?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech

Hi 67killerb,

I've got a 67 that was originally a 6 cylinder that now has a 350 in it. If you will be installing something like Autometer gauges, I would suggest using the idiot light harness. If you plan on installing mechanical guages, (which are more accurate) then the extra money you spent on buying the engine harness with the factory guage wiring will be thrown out the window, since you won't even be able to use it. In fact, you may not even be able to use the factory sending units if you are getting electrical aftermarket guages. I have the standard idiot light harness in mine and a set of mechanical Autometer Phantom guages (with the exception of the voltmeter - obviously electrical). Works great, the wire harness costs less, and the idiot lights still work. The console is not a great spot for guages as far as visibility goes, so having operating idiot lights can bring your attention to one of the guages sooner.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 00, 05:07 AM
Senior Tech

Stay away from Painless Wiring
I wish i did

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 00, 07:12 AM

Why stay away? I just bought one so let me know what I'm in for.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech
AL

M & H is the place to buy wiring for your project....good stuff. http://www.wiringharness.com/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes, your replies help. I had heard of M&H. The harnesses are expensive, but I don't want to be out on the road at some point and have an electrical problem & have to tear everything apart, so I guess I'll replace them. Thanks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech

The painless wiring kit designed to fit the camaro was a disaster. It was supposed to "plug in" not even close. I needed to rewire every single connecter, I needed to move at least two wires in each connector, The AC / heat controls were not even close and would not work at all. When it was all done, the car ran on after the key was off for a final kick in the *** and I needed to put a capacitor in line. It really sucked. You'll get to know the tech guys real well at Painless, they were great they knew their doo doo and were great to deal with, (from 9-5) the only tiome of the day I can not work on my car. But they got me through it, I'm done kicking my ***, the harness is good the fuse panel is excellent. Painless??? No way
Sorry to flame anyone, but it was the pits.
John
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

Wow....

I bought the Painless 18 circuit system for my '67, and it went in in a Saturday afternoon...maybe they have a QC problem wiht the assemblers and you got a messed up one (obviously).
Seriously, the only problem with mine was the brown and yellow wire reversed on the wiper motor plug, but they had already included an addendum in my instructions about it. This was last June, and it's been going fine since. Sorry to hear about your hassles.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode