Mounting a battery in the trunk - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Question

I have read all the posts (from searches) and I am wondering, is it a problem running a battery without a battery box? Are the "fumes" put off from a battery damaging to the car body? Is the smell a problem? I am in an engineering mode. I want to meet the NHRA specs for a holdown (3/8 holdown through the floor)and I want to use a box. I am having a problem trying to develop a method to use both and still have the ease of removing teh battery without to much hassle. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech

I can tell you that yes, the battery will emit a fine mist of acid while it's charging. Over time, the gases will take their toll on the metal.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 05:46 PM
Tech Team

Iím in the process of installing this kit from DSE which includes this Optima Holder, cable, connectors, and a bulkhead connector to route the Pos. out the front right above the starter (all seen up one page when on the above link). The ground will just go directly through the firewall via grommet to the block somewhere. Cables are routed inside up around the well from the trunk through that valley above the rocker.

Here are some pics of the kit I scavenged off the web (not my car):

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Unhappy

Yep, saw the pics for the trunk mount. Looks very nice and very clean. I don't want to use an Otima battery as I have not heard good things about them holding up over time. I guess I will just keep trying to engineer a case and mount. I may have to give up on the NHRA style holddown rods and use a case and strap mount system. I like the routing of the wires in the pics. very clean.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech

Go to web site and look at battery pic, Thats the summit $40 kit made a steel plate under box for support, cables are run along rear frame and into rocker, then out of rocker in front to remote sol.

Pics <a href="http://hobbystage.net/camaro/clash/" target="_blank">http://hobbystage.net/camaro/clash69/</a>
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech

One thing I would recommend-put your remote mount solenoid in the trunk as close to your battery as possible. Doing it this way insures that there is no current in the long cable snaking it's way through the car (through and past many sharp surfaces!) unless you are starting it. I did mine this way and it works like a charm. The positive cable in my trunk is only a foot long as it attaches to the remote solenoid, and the remote solenoid never gets hot so hot-starts are not a problem either.. The only extra work here is running a 12+ source wire to the trunk to activate the solenoid when the key is in the start position, and also running a charging wire back to the battery from the alternator. The wire from the alternator to the battery MUST have a fusible link installed in case the wire ever get's chafed.

If you are going with a traditional battery as opposed to the newer sealed units, get a marine battery box, and make certain that when the battery is in the box and it is strapped in that it is air tight.. After that, drill a line (anywhere in the box you prefer) to attach a 3/8" hose that exits out underneath the car.. This way, the fumes have a way out of the box and they end up outside the car away from precious sheet metal.

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 04:48 AM

I couldn't locate a fusible link so I used some of that auto stereo gear, a high-end fuse holder with a 80amp fuse installed. This runs through an eight gauge wire to the junction block on the radiator support aside the old battery location.

In your opinion, am I flirting with disaster or is this just a variation of what you did? My thinking was if I drop the 800 cold cranking Optima to ground, the fuse wouldn't last a blink.

Rick.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Angry

Thanks Go69. I was planning on using the solenoid in the trunk setup. I've been spending time in the MAD electric website and I read about several changes I will be making. As for the battery box, I agree, a good plastic marine style box will work well. It will probably offer a cleaner look as well. As for the venting, that was one of my major concerns. A sealed box is an absolute.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech

Gee, that car looks familier? For what it's worth, I have had NO problems at all with the Optima, never had a hot start issue, and no venting required.....Just use QUALITY cables and components..

Good Luck. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode