Heater Blower Motor - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

I am a little afraid to hear the answer to this question, but I will ask it. What is the easiest way to put a heater blower motor in a 69 Camaro with no air conditioning. Do I have to take the fender off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 03:05 AM
Senior Tech

Red face

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, you have to take the fender off. You can't reach the outside bolt on the blower motor without taking the fender off.

Hey don't feel too bad, I just replaced all the sheetmetal on the front of my car this last summer, and NOW the blower motor is starting to squeak! I'll tell you what, it never ends........

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 03:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

That's depressing news. Mine is making a noise too. jrt67ss350 are you sure you know what your talking about, I just noticed you are from Greer (just kidding).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 03:38 AM
Senior Tech

I have not done it yet but you may be able to get to that bolt by loosening the rear inner fender bolts and reaching under the inner fender. Check Chilton's manual. I will be trying this as well, and it doesn't sound fun.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I don't think you can reach the bolts just by loosening the lower fender bolts. I needed to remove the lower bolts, and the upper 3, and then pry the entire fender out away from the body 2 inches just to reach the upper bolt on the heater housing. Be prepared for some major paint damage along the front edge of the door, and under the chrome windshield trim if you are not extremely carefull. I had to remove the entire engine side housing because I don't think there is enough room to withdraw the motor from the duct with the inner fender inplace, or enough room to pull the motor out between the inner fender and the engine side duct if I did manage to pull the motor out of the duct. It is easiier to remove the entire engine side heater duct than to try and pull the motor and fan out of the duct.

You can always cut a hole in the rear of the inner fenderwell and patch it back together when you are finished.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech

Is it the same for A/C cars???
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 03:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Mark C

Your tip about cutting a hole rang a bell. I haven't had my car that long and recently discovered what appeared to be a patch on the inner fender (looked at it again tonight). Couldn't figure it out since there is no rust, thought maybe it was a patch for some road damage. Now I'm convinced it was previous access to the heater fan. I guess that's good since I need to fix the fan. It doesn't look that bad, somebody did a pretty good job. I'd probably taken the long route. Thanks again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 00, 04:11 AM
Tech Team

Cameron,

I sure hope my blower motor doesn't go bad! I just got through replacing my heater core on my 68 (no A/C) and that was not fun. I managed to get that lower left nut on the stud without doing any fender manipulations, but it took me a 1/2 hr just to get that nut on.

rojo and jrt67ss350. I've been frequenting this site since May and all of a sudden I start seeing local upstate people. Nice to see all these Camaro enthusiasts. Maybe we could get a local Camaro club started.

H-dog
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 00, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Theres no way to get an A/C blower motor out without either pulling the fender or cutting a hole in the inner fenderwell. If you try to pull out the whole engine side evaporator housing you will have to bleed down the A/C system, and pull the inner heater box since the heater tubes go through and under the engine side box.

You can't get the engine side suitcase off the firewall with the fender on. There isn't enough room to rotate the housing around to get the end with the fan out. you can't pull it straight out because there is only about 1 inch of clearance from the evaporator box to the engine. I tried it with the fender pried out, hood and hood hinge off, and inner fenderwell unbolted and pried forward some. I tried to hook the fan section up under the fender with the evaporator case up over the fender, figuring I could rotate the hole assembly up into place. But the evaporator case hit the edge of the fender and wouldn't allow the end with the fan in it to get up under the fender lip. Major pain in the butt.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech

You guys should do a search on this topic. It comes up often. I replaced my heater core last winter. I changed the blower motor at the same time, so that I wouldn't have to take the fender off again.

Taking the fender off is the easiest way to go about it. I know this doesn't sound good, but take your time. Put the bolts, screws, etc. in ziplock bags and label them. Use masking tape and put it on the fenders where they can rub against the door skin, etc. You should have seen my wife's face when I asked her to help me lift the hood off.

How old is the heater core? Replace now while your doing the blower motor.

[This message has been edited by Silver69 (edited 12-25-2000).]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 09:10 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is necessary to remove the fender to replace the Heater core and blower motor on a 70 1/2 wtihout A/C.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
John

Pincrusher, Your in luck. On the 70 and up the inner fender well lip is on the outside of the fender and can be removed "fairly" easily. The battery must come out and you have to remove the bolts between the fender and lower valance to slide the fender well out.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode