kill switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 05, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,
I have a 67 camaro,396, with HEI that I want to put a kill switch in as an anti-theft device. Can I splice into the red wire that goes from the firewall to the distributor and install it in-line there? Thanks for any help or ideas that you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 05, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

Yes you can. Another option is to ground one terminal on the switch and then run a wire from the other terminal on the switch to the tach terminal on the HEI. It's the same as holding the points closed on an older style distibutor.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 05, 06:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

or, you could use a shorter wire and just connect it to the tach!

welcome aboard, neighbor!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 05, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,my son has a 98 Z28,can I do the same thing on that also.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 05, 09:24 PM

Just keep in mind that the steering wheel and the hood on a 67 camaro do not lock. So even if you have a kill switch, a thief still has access to the engine compartment. So whatever changes you do to make a kill switch, try to make them unnoticeable (grounding the tach is probably the best bet). Additionally, never ever leave it in a place where you can't keep an eye on it for an extended period of time as a thief can either push it somewhere else or can have it towed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 05, 06:38 AM
Retired
Jim

Also try the 'search' feature here and in Bench section, there have been some VERY creative kill switch discussions over the years. They are a creative bunch out there [img]smile.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 05, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech

One I remember from a few years back is for non-smokers. You put a momentary contact push button switch in the bottom of the cigarette lighter socket so you have to either push in or pull out the lighter to enable the ignition.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 05, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas. Click, I did a search in the bench racing section with "kill switch" and "shut off switch" and there were no matches. Can you think of any other clue words?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 05, 11:05 AM
Retired
Jim

try 'car alarm' I found a dozen threads with that one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 05, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech
Ozzie

Not to sound like the guy who doesn't use creative and free methods to solve a problem, but here's what I use:

A Clfford Intelliguard (circa 2001) car alarm. It has the regular car alarm stuff, plus ignition kill and car jacking features.

Regardless of whether the alarm is "on", each time you start car, you have 20 seconds to punch in a sequence of button pushes or the car will shut off. Same sequence required if someone opens a door with the car running (carjack). 20 seconds to input code, if not, car shuts off in another 20 seconds.

In addition to the ignition disable, it also shuts off the electric fuel pump. Several problems for a would-be jacker.

With these type of alarms, you can add on features as well. I opted also for the tow away disable feature: If the car is jacked up (lifted) more than 3 degrees or 3" from its parked position, it disables.

Also, for $80 per door, I can add electric door locks. I haven't yet, but it could be a neat feature in a vintage car.

It was a little pricey (about $600 installed) but it's good piece of mind knowing it would be VERY hard for someone to steal the car. Plus when you consider the thousands of dollars invested, it's really not that much.

'68 Camaro RS
zz383 (2005) rebuilt in 2019
AFR 195s, Quick Fuel 680, 700r4, Detroit TruTrac 3:42s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode