Gas gauge gone crazy - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 02, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

My camaro ran out of gas and the gauge went past full and half way around. I filled it up andthe gas gauge has not gone back. Is there anything I can do to fix it or has something gon bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 02, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
I think there is a pin three marks to the left of the needle should rest against. On the FULL side, I only have seen the needle run to the third mark past the FULL mark. I don't think there is a pin for the needle to rest against. I believe the needle relies on the internal mechanism, what's on the other side of the faceplate, to prevent it from going to the bottom.

It seems the needle has come detached from the meter movement, as in the spring broke. I don't thnk there is a fix, at least overnight for this.

Others here may have a solution....

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 02, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I'm having a similar problem with my gauge- I dropped the tank and when I put it back in the gauge went wacky like yours. At first I suspected a bad ground. Messed with that to no avail. I got the gauge to work again by disconnecting the sending unit wire, but when I turned the ignition off and then on it went back to way overfull.

If you disconnect the tan wire on your trunk harness (look behind your fuel filler neck) and ground the female connector your gauge should go to empty (use a jumper wire) if the harness and dash gauge are ok.

I am starting to think my sending unit got damaged somehow when I had it out. You can measure the resistance on the sending unit at various float levels to see if it is messed up. You might have to drop the tank to get access to the unit unless you fish around in the tank with a length of wire (coat hangar) for the float.

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 12-12-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode