Recognize this Solenoid? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 04, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Does anyone recognize this solenoid? I have 2 of them in a junk box from father in law. Above the smaller threaded posts are letters S and T no other name or numbers. On the steel bracket is 12V obviously for 12volt system.
Can these be checked to see if they are working with OHM meter? What can I use this for if anything?
Thanks for any input.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 04, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy
That would be a FORD starter solenoid -basically a heavy duty relay. I had planned to use one as a relay for my electric coolant fan but am going to go mechanical instead.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 04, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

It is a Ford starter solenoid. The one big terminal would go to the battery positive post while the other larger one would go to the starter and then the S terminal would go to the cars key switch which has only 12V output when in the cranking position and then the remaining small terminal should only have 12V output when the solenoid has power on the S terminal.
You also need to have the solenoid grounded through it's mounting tabs. If it is mounted on plastic the solenoid will not work.
Since these are for starting a car they are not for continouis use like a better relay to power an electric fan or fuel pump.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 04, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

thanks guys but can it be tested to see if its in working condition? How to test it? Ideas?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 04, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Click - looking at the solenoid the way it is pictured in your photo - I think I might need glasses - the terminal directly to the Left of the 'S' terminal is the Battery Connection side. The 'T' is for the the Coil or a spare lower draw switched connection when the Soleniod is activated.
To 'Test' - hook a 12vdc source to the Bat. side connection, hook the Neg. (or ground) wire to the mounting bracket and then jump to the 'S' terminal with a screwdriver or short wire - you should hear the Solenoid "click" in. You can then check for 12vdc out at the other large (and the 'T') terminal.

Some guys use these to drive Electric Fans on their radiators. I don't think most of these are designed for this constant use application but they seem to work okay for some.

Hope this helps;
John

ps: the 'shiny' circle on the mount bracket holes makes me think that it's a used part - maybe good for a spare only.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 04, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

great just what I needed to become a genious at electrocuting myself. will check them out tonight.
Its definately a used one, kinda dirty and scratched up.
thanks guys
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 04, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Save them. I use them to help with hot start problems caused by headers and heat soak. Wired one up a few months ago and hot start issues are all gone now. They are not rare or expensive but they do come in handy. A whole lot cheaper than a mini-starter too. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode