Windshield Wipers - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
I have a 69 with a 350. My problem is that the wiper's just died, I had it look at, and was told it was the motor and the switch. I changed both, but still nothing. I checked the fuses, the wire's are hot on both ends. I am at a lost. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 04:31 AM
Senior Tech

Grounds.....grounds.....grounds......and more grounds. Why does it always have to be the grounds??????? I'd check your grounds.

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 07:26 AM
Tech Team

do you have voltage on the yellow lead this is th 12V from the fuse block????? Then do you have a ground from the switch on the LBL or the B wires this comes from the switch.... seems like you would have said only 1 speed doesnt work if that had of been the trouble so I'd say you are missing the ground at the wiper switch or the battery/fuse since the blue leads are for the 2 speeds that probably not the area to look at..... If you have the 12V and the ground at the motor and it still doesnt work go for the motor itself

[This message has been edited by 69-ZMAN (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 69-ZMAN (edited 11-29-2000).]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 10:22 AM
Team Member
John

I'd say you have no ground for the motor; in typical GM fashion, the motor ground isn't at the motor - it's grounded through a little stamped sheet metal ground strap at the wiper switch that also serves the light switch - it has a pigtail on it that attaches to the metal instrument cluster reinforcement below the switch, under the same screw that attaches the instrument panel harness ground wire. Check to make sure the metal ground strap hasn't broken or corroded, the pigtail wire is still attached to it, and the other end of the pigtail is indeed under the instrument panel harness ground screw. This is shown in the A.I.M. in UPC 1, sheet B2, View "B", and in UPC 12, Sheet B2.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thank you all for the tips, I am getting right on the Because the rain is coming SOON.

Thanks Again
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 05:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Question

Are 67's the same with the ground under the dash, on the switch, as the 69 model your talking about?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

Stevo,
As far as I can tell....I'm not sure
How's that for an answer..

Seriously, I just replaced the old bad switch in my '67. It just screws to the dash, and that half moon shaped plug snaps onto the rear. Everything works....in fact, I tested the switch before I installed it to the dash, so perhaps it is different than the '69 system.

David
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 06:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Lightbulb

I put a new switch in mine but the wipers only work when I push the knob in for washers. I have power to the motor, it's probably just a ground like everyone says but I did take a wire and grounded it and then atatched the wire to motor for ground but that didn't work. ??? Then I tried different motor, same thing. ??? Maybe the switch needs to be grounded at the dash? Maybe I have to much paint there?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 02:33 PM
Team Member
John

Yes, the switch needs to be grounded at the dash - standard GM circuit arrangement - that's what the strap/pigtail arrangement does on the '69.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 03:33 AM
Tech Team

I have a 68 conv. I just got through replacing the dash and engine harnesses, wiper switch, and rebuilding the wiper motor. One of the previous owners fried the yellow wire in the harness and then bypassed the fuse and rewired the switch. There is no stamped ground on my switch. However, there is a star type lockwasher that goes over the threaded shaft of the switch. I presume this bites into the dash and makes the ground. My wipers now work just fine, after many hours of work. I won't go into the motor problems. They are on another post I made.

H-dog

[This message has been edited by H-dog (edited 12-18-2000).]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 06:36 AM
Tech Team

Hi guys,

I moderate the electrical section at Team Chevelle and I sometimes "sneak" over to my other favorite Chevrolet nameplate's site.

Now, I own a Chevelle, but I'm assuming the wiper/washer system can not be that different than a Camaro.

There should be a copper strap that runs between one of the rubber insulators that holds the motor assembly to the firewall. This links the actual motor case to the firewall. This provides the motor's ground connection. Without it, the motor will not "see" ground because it is mounted on rubber insulating bushings.

Usually the switch in the dash doesn't go bad unless it was used/abused heavily. The motors and squirt pumps usually go long before the switch.

So check that ground strap on the motor!

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 12-19-2000).]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Better late then never, But it was the ground on the switch. So thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode