Question about the blue wire on external voltage regulator... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm installing a painless electric thermostat / relay for my electric fan. On the relay they have a grey / white wire that says "to ignition". Basically the grey / white wire makes sure the fan does not kick on unless the key is in the on position, so basically it's a dual switched relay.

My question is should I hook it up to the blue wire that goes to the voltage regualtor? The blue wire carries 9-10 volts, which is enough to trip the relay and it only comes on with the key in the on position. It's perfect since it's so close and I don't have to run any wires into the dash. My only worry is that I know how old tech and sensitive these external voltage regualtors are. What do you guys think?

BTW, This is on the 68.

Thanks,
Ohayden

------------------
http://www.350ss.com
1967 Camaro (Toy)
1968 Camaro (Week End Car)
1973 Camaro (Daily Driver)

[This message has been edited by ohayden (edited 06-24-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
I would not tap into the blue wire at ext reg, this is for the field winding excitation of the alt. Adding another parallel path would greatly affect the charge function of the alt.

What you could do since there is not any IGN switched 12 volts at the rad support, is to wire the relay coil to the buss bar on the horn relay, 12 volts from the battery at all times, the other side of the relay to the thermostat, then the other side of the thermostat to ground. This would allow the thermostat to control the fan duty cycle, as in running with the key off. Then wire the relay contacts to the same buss bar to power the fan(s). Be sure to use fuses on both leads.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

If it was mine I'd run a wire to the IGN terminal on the fuse block. A little extra work can save a lot of extra work.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 02, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks... I knew I shouldn't use it, just wanted some re-assurance I guess I do have a fuse in line, so I'm okay there. I guess I'll do it the right way and run the wire to the fuse box.

Ohayden

------------------
http://www.350ss.com
1967 Camaro (Toy)
1968 Camaro (Week End Car)
1973 Camaro (Daily Driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode