Swapping a '95 LT-1 into a '72 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Red face

Hey all. As the subject implies, I'm swapping a '95 LT-1 into one of my '72's. I haven't actually done the swap yet, but I'm anticipating a tedious battle with the wiring harness during the conversion process. I'm sure it'll be tons of fun trying to figure out which wires I need and which ones I don't, especially since I'm a novice with wiring harnesses. Can anyone out there who's done this swap give some suggestions to help avoid the headaches? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

------------------
"If ya can't get yourself a 10, the least you can do is *uck 5 2's!"-Dolemite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech

Injstreetrods should have something to say about this........Go ahead Larry, sounds like a potential customer to me...... KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 11:43 AM

Talking

I put a 96 LT4 in my 67 Convertible. I also used the 4L60e Trans. The swap is a breeze. Are you going to use an after market harness or try to retrofit the factory GM harness? I'll be happy to help you with it either way.

------------------
67 Convertible
97 Vette
Chevrolet powered boat 28ft Profile cat 502EFI Procharged with 13lbs boost radar 112 MPH

[This message has been edited by palvey (edited 11-08-2000).]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey all, thanks for the quick responses. To answer your question Palvey, I intend to retrofit the factory harness if it's not too much of a hassle. I know it's probably not that bad, I just have no experience with wiring harnesses. I'm all ears, so please, give me all the insights you have! Either post 'em here or email 'em to me. Thanks very much.

------------------
"If ya can't get yourself a 10, the least you can do is *uck 5 2's!"-Dolemite
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech

I have a 93 LT1 from a Camaro I stripped recently. Amazing how much wiring is in these, probably 20 pounds. Good place to start with this is a Haynes service manual. They have simplified wiring diagrams that give just the basic routing and color codes. The factory manuals really go into detail, but they are tough to figure out. One thing to look into is the passkey or vats security system. Have to buypass this with a resistor to match the key or maybe eliminate all together. Haven't started on mine yet so I'll be looking for any posts you have on this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

Hi Tom and others....

I have a '67 SS/RS into which I put a '97 LT1 and 6 speed.

Personally I found the wiring to be very straight forward. Almost every..if not every..sensor (MAF, Crank position, Water temp, IAT, etc..) uses a different style plug,so that's one easy way to know where things go.
As I bought my LT1 new from the factory in 97, I also purchased a new harness from Street&Performance in Arkansas..this made the wiring truly a "plug and play" affair. One nice thing is the aftermarket harnesses are usually designed to the computer sits inside the car (mines behind glove box) to keepit out of the elements.

Tom, as far as your specific question about the VATS, most aftermarket harnesses use a "Black box" to accomlish this.

Or, as I did, just program it out of the PCM...along with the airpump, skip shift light, and various other things I wanted enhance, delete.

I am more than happy to share the things I learned/am learning during this project.
SO please ask any questions.

Cheers,
David http://www.flash.net/~spdrcr

[This message has been edited by 67LT1 (edited 11-13-2000).]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 03:11 AM
Senior Tech

David,

Very nice. Sweet looking car.

I have a few questions for you. I am starting this project also. Did you use a/c? What did you have to do to line up the motor mounts? What was your worst stumbling block?

I am sure there are a thousand more real questions I should ask, but the brain fade is real bad this morning.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 05:19 AM
Senior Tech

Mark,
Thank you.
The car was a non a/c car, and I did not add it. If I did want a/c, the compressor...as it sits in the Z28 version bracketry, will not clear the A-Arms on our cars. Rather, you need to swich to Corvette accessory layout which mounts everything up high.

As far as the motor mounts, my LT1 literally just dropped right into the car.
I'm using the original '67 mounts...just cleaned and powder coated.

The hardest "physical" part of the project was the Richmond 6 speed. Had to modify the hole in the floor, as well as get a new driveshaft to accomodate the new length of the tranny.
I did use the original '67 bell housing, as it bolted right up to the new LT1.

To swing this back to an electrical topic , I axed the old original rusted out, full of resistance body wiring harness and underdash block.
I installed a new Painless wiring harness. It really cleans thing up and all my lights are bright, and no dimming or turn signal dancing. Plus, I like blade fuses.

I know, next question "how did you do the RS headlight harness?"

I had a brand new front light harness for RS cars from Classic Industries. Since it was lal replaced by the Painless system, I very carefully unwrapped the Classic harness, and found that all the wiring for the RS is completely separate. So, I carefully removed this fromt he front light harness from Classic.
This left me with the entire wiring setup for the RS system.
After that, it was a matter of plugging things into the proper relays (let's not talk about that right now), the limit swithes, the motors, and finally the under dash connector.

Anyway, I obviously like the Painless system. One nice feature is the "coil" fuse in the panel. Pull this, and no one's starting your car. Also they use a 50amp MaxiFuse instead of a fuseable link. I have mine hidden, so I can really shut things down and make it a bit harder for somoene to jump in a hotwire the car.

Have a good day,
David
'67 SS/RS w/'97 LT1 and more...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 05:28 AM

Talking

I did not want to use ac on my car either. I used the ac delete pulley from Gm. It will work with the Z28, Trans Am, and Impala SS pulley systems. It is $28 to $38 depending on the GM dealer. The Gm part number is 10115875. This piece bolts directly in place of the ac compressor. Judging by 67LT1's pics this is the piece he used.
------------------
67 Convertible
97 Vette
Chevrolet powered boat 28ft Profile cat 502EFI Procharged with 13lbs boost radar 112 MPH

[This message has been edited by palvey (edited 11-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by palvey (edited 11-14-2000).]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Judging by 67LT1's pics this is the piece he used. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

David (67LT1) and i did the same thing but with slight differences. I used a 94 Vette LT1 so i could have A/C and i installed a vintage air kit too. I also did the painless wiring 18 circuit harness, it's made specific for 67/68 Camaro/Firebirds. As far as wiring goes i used a TPIS aftermarket harness and had them program VATS out of the computer. I however used headers instaed of the manifolds. And i used a T56 instaed of a richmond 6 but other than that, it's the same car.
Mark- the motor mounts that i used were Moroso solid engine mounts, with GM small block frame mounts. the thing that help my car up was the T56, but now that it's done and i could do it again, i've decided to make a T56 "kit" that will allow anyone to bolt it right in. If anyone needs part #'s or help email me.

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode