Points/Condenser - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Just exactly what does the condenser in the distributor actually do? If it is bad, what are the symptoms?

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the condensor is a capacitor, connected in parallel with the points (from coil neg to ground.)

Capacitors charge when the voltage rises, and discharge when it falls.

It's purpose is to slightly slow the rise and fall of the voltage across the points (when they open and close) to reduce arcing. (sparks!)

If the capacitor shorts, the car will not run.

If it opens, or is disconnected or missing, the car will run fine, but the points won't last as long as they should.

Again, the condensor's only purpose is to extend the life of the points.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jim, thanks for the quick reply.
Since the car will run fine with a bad condenser, I am gonna assume that is not my problem.

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

And your symptoms are.........
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

LOL....If I remember correctly, it currently idles like crap, but he's had several failed attempts at installing a couple of different breakerless modules inside his stock distributor.

and my humble opinion is still that he doesn't have enuf initial in it, and if I was there, I'd give the ditributor a healthy twist and bet it smooths right out.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Exactly as Jim said. Very erratic idle, misses and throttle is not very responsive. It also seems to be running extremely rich.
I can unbolt/bolt just about anything but tuning is way out of my league.
Jim, come on down and smack this thing back into shape. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 02:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Dave, my man, loosen that distributor hold down a lil, fire it up, pull the vacuam can toward the carb till it sounds right. The idle will come up about 300 rpm, crank it back down, then push the can toward the firewall till the sound changes just a scosh, and lock it down.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Okay, good suggestions. I'd use a vacuum gauge on full time manifold port and tune the idle mixture screws for best (highest) vacuum reading.

Adjust curb idle for 900-1000 rpm, readjust mixture screws.

Loosen dist holddown and adjust for max vacuum reading. Use timing light and check timing. At this point, retard timing by 2*. This will prevent a slow starter when engine is hot.

Readjust curb idle to 900-1000 rpm. try a WOT blip to see if engine does not cough, stumble, but, picks up in rpm.

You shaould end up with 28+-32* of dwell, 4* BTDC of base timing at 900 rpm. Sometime this doesn't always work. Alittle more base timing is needed.

Check the venturi boosters in the air horn of carb. If they are dripping fuel, fuel level in bowl is too high, or fuel pressure is too much, highly unlikely. This will make for a rough idle. If level too high, loosen the locknut, hold the large screw, and turn nut CCW to lower the fuel level. There will be fuel spraying everywhere if engine is running.

Drive it up to the Beach, I'll work on it........

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Again, thanks for the great instructions. I'm gonna print this.
Hopefully, I have an aquaintance coming over this afternoon to help with it.

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 05, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
I give the wrong info,
Quote:
If level too high, loosen the locknut, hold the large screw, and turn nut CCW to lower the fuel level.
One must turn the nut CW to lower the fuel level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode