timing problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1990 RS Camaro original 305 throttle body. I bought a 93 350 Caprice motor and put a early LT1 cam in. We pulled the old motor and put in a the new motor. When we had apart the distributor apart, the eight point magnetic plate on the shaft fell off. Trying to save money we piened the shaft and got the plate to stay on. We finished dropping in the new engine and started it. We advanced the timing between 4 to 6 degrees for the best idle. I drove it for about a day and a half and it started to run terrible. We then discovered that the plate was spinning on the shaft. We replaced the whole distributor and it still runs terrible. Since it is computer controlled and has a bypass wire for the timing, it must be unplugged to time the car. With the bypass uplugged it runs but with it plugged in it will not run. We have discoverd that when we icrease the rpms, instead of advancing the timing it retards the timing up to ten degrees at high rpms. We have replaced the pick up coil, the ignition module, the knock sensor the chip, the ecm, plugs wire, plugs, cap, rotor (basically anyting related to the ignition system) and the problem still exists. I am lost and the dealer here cannot even figure out what the problem is. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
My two cents....

What's vacuum reading? ECM's like a cam with no more than 220* duration and min of 112* lobe sep angle. ECM's need alotta vacuum for the MAP sensor. Low vacuum @MAP sensor = heavy fuel.

Early LT1 cam, how early, '70's? This could be your problem, too lumpy of a cam for your ECM. You might look for a '94 Corvette (or Equivalent) chip and try it, if the same year(late) of LT1 cam.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode