brake light/turn signal problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hope some one can offer useful advice. The problem is brake light/turn signal on my 69. Up until recently all was well, however, recently the right rear brake light/turn signal, e-flasher has quit lighting. All running/signal lights work except the right rear. On the right rear the tail light functions and the top filament on the 1157 bulb lights. The right rear brake light/signs/flasher do not function and the lower filament does not light up. Checked for disconnected wires,poor grounds and obvious corrosion on connections, and damaged wires. All negative. Be advised thar I am severely electrically challenged so I could be wrong somewhere. Ruled out flasher unit under dash as all other signals work. Don,t know what the problem could be unless maybe a problem with the tail light socket. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech

Bert man I had a similar problem on my 68. It turned out to be a bad connection at the dash to rear harness connector. This connector is located just above the parking brake. All the wiring appeaered to be intact however once I disconnected the harnesses and bent each pin for a tighter fit the problem was fixed. You must also watch that the pins do not get pushed back after installation. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech

I'm assuming you checked for 12 volts on the right rear green wire. Using a meter or tester light you should have power to a good ground when you step on the brakes.
Check that first. If so:
Try providing a ground directly to the light. Take a test jumper wire and touch the light bulb base right where it meets the glass.
Touch the other end of the test jumper wire to a known good ground.
Step on the brakes and see if that makes the light come on. If so, chances are the socket is bad.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Guys thanks for the great replies. Sounds good. As soon as I get a break from work will try your suggestions. It's the small problems that always stump me.

Bert
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech

I had pretty much the same problems on my 68. It turns out that the turn signal switch in the steering column was bad.Brake lights and turn signals are both connected at that switch.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
Ozzie

Ditto to Kool's reply. I also had the same problem with my 68. Flasher good, all bulbs good, but lights would go out on the left side only with the brakes pressed. Turn signal switch was the culprit.

Ozzie

'68 Camaro RS
zz383 (2005) rebuilt in 2019
AFR 195s, Quick Fuel 680, 700r4, Detroit TruTrac 3:42s
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 07:53 AM

I have the same problem. What is involved in changing the turn signal switch? Do I have to pull the wheel????
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 04:23 PM
Team Member
Dave

Yes you have to pull the wheel. Be careful with the horn wire/contacts. It has been several years since I pulled mine but if I remember correctly you will see the wire harness run down the inside of the steering column. After you disconnect it will slide out. I had the same problem just the other week although I did not check the turn signal, just noticed one brake light was out. Checked the bulb, socket, ground, power (by hitting the pedal) while my five year old was playing in the car...Trouble shot back to the steering column and was ready to pull the wheel to get to the turn switch and noticed she had turned the switch on! Live and learn. If I had just turn the key on...

1969, 350 "Beast", M20, Nothing Fancy, Nothing Pretty, But Sure is Fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode