If I put a tach and console gauges in, will the alternator work w/o the 'GEN' light? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 05, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

For my 68 Camaro, (I finally found a CS alternator that will fit in my long water pump engine brackets) I am planning on adding a dash tachometer and a console with gauges. If I do this, I loose the resistance provided by the 'GEN' light in the dash fuel gauge. Will this work? Does the CS alternator require resistance in the circuit? If so, does the 'BATT' gauge in the console provide the required resistance. Thanks to anyone who can help on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 05, 02:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Well, the electricity that goes to energize the alternator (through the brown wire) comes from the idiot light. This leads to an interesting tid-bit, the alternator needs to see some resistance in this line. That resistance is the bulb! If you try to be "custom" and use a LED, there isn't the correct resistance and the alternator will not work correctly! You can't just by-pass the light!
go here for more info:
https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 05, 04:28 AM

With LEDS, you will need to mount a small resistor to both the hot and the ground. This will provide the resistance you need so that the LED will flash. Try a one watt,1.5 OHM, available at most Radio Shacks or Fryes in Texas.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 05, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The problem is that putting in a tach involves removing the fuel gauge pod unit. That means you no longer have a GEN light in the car. The assumption was that if you have a tach, you have the gauge package so you don't need an idiot light. So my question is, in a car the factory built with a tach, there was no idiot light, so where does the resistance come from? Is there a resistor somewhere, or does the BATT gauge provide resistance? Thanks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 05, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Ross

I don't know if you are going to use the stock RS console gauges or not, but the RS battery gauge has a resistor wire built in. I belive it is the black and white wire. I'm no electronic expert but I just went through a charging system problem and found out alot about this particular setup. So I guess if you use an aftermarket setup then try wiring the gauge on one side with a resistance wire. BTW I am using a one wire ALT and if you are also run the wire off the ALT to the horn relay otherwise the battery gauge will read in the negative side.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 05, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I think fdny37 answered my question. According to his response, the sawtooth console gauge package does have a resistor build in to it. That makes sense. I decided to buy a CS alternator instead of the 1-wire one. (I read too many people's complaints about problems with them.) I hope this setup will work. Thanks for everyone's responses.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 05, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech

this may not be kosher but i took the gen wire cut it before the plug and cut the i think it was the temp wire spliced those together took the little plastic sign cut the 2 peices in half put the gen on the left and the brake on the right and it works fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode