Electrical woes - horn, no starter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Hi - This is pet_mich again. Thanks for all the help with the wiring on Unilite Distributor. [img]smile.gif[/img] (got that hooked up) My problem now is two-fold. When I press my horn button all I hear is a fairly loud buzzing - sounds like it is coming from the horn relay. Both horns work-put 12 v. directly to each one. I took the cover off the horn relay (on the core support and with it still hooked up, if I take my fingers and lift up on that little contact horns blow fine. Bought a new relay from Autozone and relay still makes a buzzing sound and horns do not work. Also the engine does not crank or make a sound. All fuses appear to be good. (Optima red battery,all lights work,radio works, dash lights glow with key on) Dont really know where to start - almost everything on car is new or rebuilt including the tilt column, new 105 amp 1 wire alternator. Am very weak in the electrical department if you cant tell already.
'69 Rally Sport, Small block.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
pet_mich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 03:34 PM

Sorry to hear you're having probs. For relays, you have to make sure that the control side gets full power and ground when the horn button is pressed. If not, you have not have the magnetism to pull the contacts closed. You can supply the control side and check resistance in the load side. Maybe try giving the control side power and ground, if it still doesn't work, it's in the other half of the circuit. Since you know the horn itself works, you can check the wires on the load side for voltage drops (while energized).

For the starter; have someone turn the key while you check for 12v at the soleniod. If it's there, and your starter is grounded properly, it the starter/solenoid. If no power at the solenoid, trace power from the ign. switch. ie. power in, (turn key)---> power out to starter. If you want, you can try powering the small power wire going to the starter at which time the motor should turn.
good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Much thanks, Apprentice but Im really lacking in the electrical department. What do you mean control side load side? Are these specific terminals on the relay? As far as the starter goes you have some things I can try in the next day or two. (Am somewhat comfortable with my digital voltmeter for basic circuit checks)
Thanks, again! pet_mich

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 04:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

On the horn relay, there's 3 wires that plug in the bottom. 2 are together in a row, the 3rd is off toward the other sideby itself. The one of the "pair" furthest from the rad support is for the green wire from the horns, that is the load side of the relay. The one of the pair closest to the rad support is the brown wire from the horn button, that's the control side. The one off by itself is for the key in buzzer, wire is pink, I think with a black stripe.

It sounds like you have tha brown wire plugged in to where the pink one should go. You press the horn button, you gat the warning buzzer.

On the start circuit, the wires are purple, and big. Goes from the ignition swtich, in and out of the neutral safty switch, then to the starter. On a '69, the neutral safety / backup light switch is in the steering column. There is (or was)) a linkage from the trans that turns a section of the column to lock the trans in park when the key is out. It rotates a ring just inboard of the steering wheel, where the column shifter would go if you had one. I'll bet if you hold the key to start, and turn that ring on the column counterclockwise, she'll crank right over. You can also operate your backup lights by turning that ring.

(see guys, I do know a lil about '69's, when I stop to think about it, hehe)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 05, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

JimM - I was reading your response and the lights started to come on! (The ones in my brain that is) Thats what that linkage on the shelf is for! Thats why I cant get the 4 sp. transmission into reverse! Thats what that bracket/tab is on the side of the steering column is for! Maybe all this has something to do with the reason motor wont crank. Tomorrow I will be spending the day in the garage. I pulled the starter off to bench test it one more time - works fine) Will put back on and try all the things you mentioned and with the horn relay. Thanks a million! Ill keep you posted
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 05, 06:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

np, glad I could help. btw... many have just left this linkage on the shelf cause it's a pain and sometimes gets in the way of headers. When I was 13 (in 1970), my 17 y o uncle had a '69 4 speed SS396 chevelle. When he put headers on it, the linkage wouldn't go back on. I fondly remember him twisting the sleeve on the steering column every time he started it, then the other way to unlock the column, and again if he needed backup lights.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode