temp sensor - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 04, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I'm looking to install a new electric fan for my 69'. The temp sensor for turning it on/off needs to be threaded into either the intake or head. My question is, what type of sealant should I use on it, if any. The instructions (yes, I read them) said not to use teflon tape. I assume this allows the sensor to ground itself to the engine. Thanks for any help.

1969 X44, 355 SBC, BDS 6-71 blower, dual Eddy carbs, TCI Streetfighter TH350, 4000 stall, Denny's driveshaft, 10-bolt 8.5 rear w/4.56 gears, Caltracs, M&H drag radials, 10 point cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 04, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech

I use ARP thread sealant. It stands up to fuel, anitfreeze and many other fluids that others don't. Much better than teflon tape especially on aluminum and it does not harden, so if you put too much you can wipe off the excess at any time.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 04, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech

I found this on Lectric Limited Inc's web site. They specialize in classic car automotive electrical products.

"Assuming your temperature gauge, temperature sending unit, and wiring is not defective, the most common cause of inoperable or intermittent gauges is the use of Teflon/pipe tape or pipe compound on the sending unit's threads.
Do not use Teflon tape, pipe dope, or any other material on the threads of your sending unit!!! Screw the sending unit right into the engine.

Any material between the threads of the sending unit and the car's ground (engine) can result in your gauge working improperly, or not working at all. Without the sending unit being grounded, your temperature gauge will show an approximate 100 degree reading (pegged to the left, cold side, of the gauge) no matter what the engine's temperature. If your sending gauge is making a poor (high-resistance) ground to the engine because of Teflon tape or pipe thread compound, your gauge will read cooler than the actual engine temperature."

Hope it helps..

Dan
'68 Convertible

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 04, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by dschribs:
Do not use Teflon tape, pipe dope, or any other material on the threads of your sending unit!!! Screw the sending unit right into the engine.
Dan B. is right on about how resistance affects the guage circuit. But I don't know that I'd subscribe to the no-dope theory. It is possible for teflon tape to create a bad connection. I'd say in those cases, the sender isn't installed properly or their is too much tape on the threads.

By design, pipe-thread connections have voids between the threads. Some kind of dope is needed to preventing leaks. Leaking coolant is more likely to create a high resistance cooroded connection. Also, the dope will make the sensor easier to remove in another 30 years.

But back to Dan B's point. It's probably a good idea to take a resistance measurement between the sensor ground and the block to ensure contact is being made. Most likely it will be.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode