Alternator wiring closer? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 03, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

ok i posted a few days ago and then found out that there was a tech reference about what i needed to do... so i hooked it up like i was suppose to but im only getting 3 amps but getting the right amount of volts?? whats wrong? any one know?
thanx

1968 Camaro
383 stroker
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 SBC
1971 Camaro RS
350 SBC
1971 Camaro SS (numbers matching)
350 (270hp ss)
2001 Camaro SS LS1 SLP
starting a family . . . of camaro's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 03, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking....

I'll assume that you changed from a 10DN externally regulated alternator to a 10SI or 12SI internally regulated alternator and you followed the tech reference section that informed you to jumper the blue wire/brown wire from the external regulator plug together and hook up the red wire(voltage sensing wire) from the new alternator to the alternator output terminal.

Is this what you did? If so please give us more info on how you measured 3 amps and what voltage you measured(and from what source, battery, alternator, horn relay, etc) that was incorrect and what it was.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 03, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

ok sorry about the poor description i was in a rush for class. ok so i did what the tech ref. said i hooked the brown and blue up at the old reg. spot, and took a new wire and hooked it from + of the alternator to the internal regulator (which is the right side if your lookin at the back of it, and then left the blu wire. the alternator is a DL7133 from autozone. the idiot light is still on and im only running 2 to 3 amps... im not for sure whats going on but someone has had to run into this problem one time or another... hopfully

thanx

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

OK....

Terminal #1(on the right if looking at the back) on a 10SI or 12SI alternator is the voltage sensing wire. The tech ref says to connect that wire to the output terminal on the back of the alternator. Terminal #2(on the left if looking at the back) is power for the voltage regulator and should be getting power based on the jumper that you made at the old external regulator plug. You can test this with the key on, make sure that the wire to terminal #2 has power.

The part where you are losing me is when you say that you are only getting 2 or 3 amps. Do you mean that you are measuring the current from the output terminal of the alternator and it is only putting out 2-3 amps? Or are you reading a gauge in the car....like the factory type ammeter guage?

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

well i took it to auto zone and the put this tester thing on it. they connect the tester at the positve of the battery, the negative of the battery and then have a clamp thing that goes around the battery cable that goes down to the starter. hope that helps i still cant really figure this out.. maybe i cant do it with this alternator dont know
thanks for the help paulm

1968 Camaro
383 stroker
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 SBC
1971 Camaro RS
350 SBC
350 (270hp ss)
2001 Camaro SS LS1 SLP
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 03, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

took off mroe tape down the wires and found a green wire that was in teh cluster that went to the alternator, wheres this go or what is it for?
my guess is its for the other side of teh idiot light?? maybe dont know wheres it go
thanks a ton

1968 Camaro
383 stroker
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 SBC
1971 Camaro RS
350 SBC
350 (270hp ss)
2001 Camaro SS LS1 SLP
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 03, 12:33 PM

I think the green one is for the temp sender (in the left head). Its just in the harness because it runs close by.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

k now what still same problem ruquikr you were right. does this kinda wiring work for all internal regulated alternators? thats the only thign i can think of.
thanks

1968 Camaro
383 stroker
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 SBC
1971 Camaro RS
350 SBC
350 (270hp ss)
2001 Camaro SS LS1 SLP
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

ok i took the alternator to auto zone had it tested and it worked fine, so i went out an bought a mulitmeter. checked up on some things running close to 15-16 volts not running the electirc fan and 12 running the fan. ok now i went and pulled off both terminal wires(blue and white that have been rewired) so i hooked the white on back up ( one that is coming off of the batt terminal) got a constant volt, but when i hooked up the blue wire the gen light came on...
im not for sure at all what this means but maybe it will help someone figure out my problems
thanks please try to help

1968 Camaro
383 stroker
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 SBC
1971 Camaro RS
350 SBC
350 (270hp ss)
2001 Camaro SS LS1 SLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode