Suggestions for dash ground? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 05, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Question

Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to put a main ground for all of the underdash electrical? Or is there a better way to do it? After installing an aftermarket stereo, upgraded Autometer gauges, keyless entry, power locks, etc., there sure are a lot of ground wires. Should I run one good ground wire (from where? the fuse block?) and connect it to all of the grounds with good connectors? With all of the old rusty metal underneath the dash, it sure is harder to just ground each wire individually in convenient locations. Any suggestions? Thanks.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 05, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Each unit typically has its own ground, But if you want to run a single branching ground. Connect it to the bottom of the dash where the steering wheel mount bracket is.. Best ground you'll find

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 05, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Look to see how big the wire is from the battery negative terminal to the fender and also look for any other ground straps between the engine and the firewall. If you only have a single small 10-12 gauge wire between the battery negative terminal and the fender you may want to upgrade that to an 8 gauge.
Added accessories like door locks, security systems, radio's, and such can be grounded to the firewall or any other underdash metal that is welded together but if that area is not given an easy path back to the battery negative terminal then the electrical devices may not perform as best they should.
Any time I install anything larger than an 8 gauge power wire off of the batteries positive post for things like an amplifier I always upgrade the ground connection between the battery and the body of the car.
I had a poor connection recently on the wire between the negative post of the battery and the fender and the headlights were dimmer than usual and the fan for the heater was running slower than normal. If I was driving the car sometimes the headlights would be bright and then dim as the ground from the body was trying to make a better connection to the engine block through the shifter linkage and the emergency brake cables. Once I fixed just that one wire numerous thing started working better.
Where ever you make a connection, make it to a clean surface and try and use star washers and have the connection nut and bolted together and stay away from self tapping screws if possible.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 05, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Both excellent ideas and what I was looking for. I hadn't thought of connecting near the steering column, but it makes sense since it would be a closer connection to the engine block. I'll also check my ground connections from the battery, fender, and firewall. With all of the old wire and rusty metal, no wonder things aren't grounding optimally. Thanks for the help!

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode