turn signal assembly 69 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

I have a 69 camaro. The right turn signal wont work, so I am replacing the turn signal assembly. I have the steering wheel pulled off. Can I fish the old wiring harness and plug out of the steering column and fish the new one back in? Or do I need to take the steering column apart and run the wiring down the column. Any help would be appreciated. Are there any tricks to fishing the plug and wires? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 10:10 AM
Guess

I think you can get away with pulling the harness out without disassembling TOO much.

I'm trying to remember exactly what's involved..... I've done the same thing a few times on mine.

Once everything is loose and the connector is disconnected, you'll need to turn the flat, black connector sideways to get it to fit up through the column. Then reverse the process to get it back down through. I'm sure there's a little more to it but you shouldn't have too much trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
What are you doing with the old assembly? I need a few small parts for my hazard switch (part of the assmbly) to work. Right now, it only flashes the front lights...

I would be interested in seeing if I can pull some parts off it if you don't have plans for it...

Steve -
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350, TH350, factory air, factory AM/FM, factory tilt wheel, console w/ gauges - Daytona Yellow
- 1969 Van Nuys Camaro Database

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 04, 06:52 AM
Team Member

You will need to remove the locking plate and flasher knob etc. You will be able to slide the connector through the clearance in the tube up from the bottom.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 04, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

It turned out to be easier that I thought. It had a sleeve that all the wires rested in and then I folded over the plug and fished it down through the steering column. Thanks for all your responses.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 04, 07:47 AM
Guess

Oh yeah! I forgot about the plastic sleeve! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Glad ya got it sorted out.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 02:36 AM
Senior Tech

If anybody needs to disassemble and repair your 1969 or later standard (non-adjustable) or your tilt steering columns, you might find a series of papers and pictures that I posted to be quite helpful. They are posted at the following websight location: www.corvettefaq.com/A-car.asp

All of the GM (Saginaw) steering columns were very similar back in that era. So the A-car info is very applicable to the F-car.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Nice! Thx....

Steve -
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350, TH350, factory air, factory AM/FM, factory tilt wheel, console w/ gauges - Daytona Yellow
- 1969 Van Nuys Camaro Database
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 02:48 PM
Team Member
John

Angry

Outstanding series of papers - excellent work! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode