One wire Alt. install--HELP!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hi Guys,
I have had a problem with my gen. light staying on, and couldn't figure out what the problem was. I mean the car started and ran fine. Then one morning I get in and try to start it and it behaved as if the battery was dead. So I gave the car a 'jump' and she started right up but the gen. light stayed on. I replaced the alternater and the regulator and got the car started again and the gen. light stayed on again!
I was then convinced to use a 'One wire alternater' by a Auto electric shop guy.
He told me to run a 10 guage wire from the alt. to the + side terminal of the battery and to disconnect the wiring to the old alt. and voltage regulator and lay them to the side. So I did.
Well needless to say nothing on the car worked now (it's as if someone pulled the battery out of the car).
If someone could E-mail me a wiring diagram for a one wire alternater or if you could 'talk' me through it I would deeply appreciate the help.
Also if it helps, I hooked up a remote solenoid to the starter (you know the Ford type one from the Summit Racing
catalog?) Could that be the culprit here?

Thanks in advance!
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 01:50 PM

I think you have to connect 2 of the wires at the voltage regulator and leave the other 2 disconnected. I went to look at my 67 but they were taped together and could't remember which 2.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 03:06 PM

Cool

Since the conversion, did the car start? I did the same conversion last week and ran a #10 wire from the alt to the bat. and added a jumper wire from the back of the alternator to the #2 terminal on top of the alternator.

I dont think its necessary to do this, I did under advice from someone else on this site. My regulator is gone, and all wiring has been taped back. So the guy was right in that instance. I also use a remote solenoid and the only wire hooked up to that (since my HEI conversion) is my purple ignition wire.

Obviously there is a wire that is not hooked up, or maybe something shorted out.

I think by telling us exactly what works and what doesnt it will be easier to troubleshoot for you. Also what is the voltage at the batt? Do you have power to the fuses etc? Let us know. Sean

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Question

Thanks Guys,
I'm going to dive into it in the morning and I'll post any progress.
I'll probably have more questions than progress.

Thanks, I'll be in touch.

------------------
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 06:29 AM
Tech Team

sounds to me like you are not getting power to the fuse box that feeds every thing inside the car there is a red wire approx. a 12 that went from the alt to the reg, to the battery to the inside of car as I remember this still needs to be hooked up to battery to feed all the ***. including the ignition switch untape your wires a little and turn head lights on they probably dont work then take a wire from battery and put to the big red one (kind of sounds nasty not what I meant ha ha ) and see if lites go on . also this sounds silly but the lite on dash mifgt of been a blown fuse that when it blows reverses the bias to that lite off alt. fast way to check a alt. is to ether put a screwdriver to the back center of alt .case and see if it is magnitized or with a dc volt meter see if it is putting out 13vdc
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 07:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I don't own a first-gen Camaro but I thought the power for the car came off the main battery terminal (smaller wire) which hooks to a terminal usually located right behind the battery. Check to see if it has broken, come loose, corroded, etc.

On my 72 Camaro, the power feed for the car comes off the battery terminal on the starter; if that's the case and you install the Ford solenoid without relocating the feed wire you would have no power to the car as the battery terminal on the starter is "dead" except when cranking with the Ford solenoid. One of these two things are my guess.

Jody
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 07:26 AM

I emailed you a set of directions from a Summit one wire alt.. Bob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 02:02 PM

Rick's sells the rubber adapter that plugs into the wire harness that originally hooked up to the regulator. It shorts 2 of the pins and leaves 2 open I believe. They also send you the plug converter for old alternator to new. 2 plugs, one kit, nice and clean.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode