Weird light problem... help! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 04, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've got a 67 Camaro, and not a single electrical light/system worked when I got it... now at least I have everything working... BUT, this is kind of weird. The headlights and interior lights flicker a little at night, and it is related to rpm. I did not install any resistors anywhere when I put things back together (they weren't present to begin with). And I have a new msd6al ignition system and coil... anyone else have this problem. Do you think it is related to:

1. Alternator
2. Plug wires or MSD system
3. Voltage regulator
4. Lack of resistors
5. Bad ground

OR... is this NORMAL on old 67 Camaro's... LOL. I'm new to them, so bear with me.

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 04, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

Probably one of two things. Either a bad connection or a flaky voltage regulator. I presume the fuse block and harness are original.

Bad connections often exist at the fuse block itself. The fuse clips are probably a bit rusty . If you want to confirm this, get a digital volt meter and measure the voltage drop between the fuse cap and it's associated terminal. If you see anything more than a few hundredths of a volt you've got a problem. The fuse might also get warm on the end with the bad connection. If so, try a brass gun barrel brush to buff up the interior surface. I always like to follow up about any connection with dielectric grease. It helps keep oxygen and moisture away from the bright metal.

A couple of other places to check is the big terminal block behind the battery where the primary system voltages are connected. The buss bar on the horn relay is another primary point of distribution. But there are 100s of other possibilities. In all cases buff it, dope it and see if it improves.

If that all seems Ok, use the same digital volt meter and wire it up to your electrical system. See how much and at what RPMs your voltages are fluctuating. Depending on where you connect the meter you may find it is isolated to one circuit or common to all. The voltage regulator would become prime suspect in the later case.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 31st, 04, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dave, thanks... good advice. I think I will use the voltmeter to check the overall system first. That way, I can quickly isolate it to the voltage regulator if that is the culprit, rather than all the distribution points for power, although I may be reduced to that. It actually reminds me a little of an old motorcycle I had that used a generator... LOL.

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 04, 02:24 AM
Senior Tech

Jethro
My lights dim to a certain extent with RPM too. I always just thought it was just the nature of the cars electrical system.

Dan
'68 Convertible

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 04, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

This is not dimming though... the lights actually flicker slightly... the headlights, dash lights, everything, and only above idle and increasing in frequency/amplitude with increasing rpm. Tonight left a meeting and lights were fine for about 15 minutes, then it started again, making me wonder if it is also related to the battery being fully charged... say, after 15 minutes of driving. I'll try to get to this damn thing... I'm onto the steering column tomorrow for something else entirely... UGH.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 04, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Try looking at your switch. Could have bad contacts inside with weak springs causing the contacts to chatter with the vibration of the car.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 04, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech

Jethro, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the voltage regulator. All the lights would dim and brighten every few seconds or so. And it only happened above idle. I just started doing a visual and found the battery was actually hot and the electrolyte was vented out of the case seal. Felt the regulator and it was hot as well. I removed the cover and sure enough, it was pretty much toast. Literally. Replaced the regulator and batery and have had no problems since. Hope this helps.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode