Gen. light trouble - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

I own a 67 camaro with a 230 and I bought a 18 circuit wiring harness. Ever since I installed it my generator light is turned "ON" on the ACC position and off on the "ON" position. The charging system is fine and I installed a new ignition switch, alternator and external regulator but the problem continues. I had this same harness on a previous camaro and there were no problems. The wires on the bacl of the ignition switch are as follows: red-battery, purple-SOL., green-ground, orange & pink wires-ign., brown-ACC. I triple checked all the connections, there were no burned fuses. The Painless wiring tech was to no help. Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech

Just a stab in the dark with the pain harness. I think I see what's going on, sort-of. What confused me is the orange wire until I remembered the harness is universal. Orange was used in later years.

The factory wiring has 2 brown wires going to the ignition switch on one terminal. At least there is one solid brown and one brown with stripe. One of these browns went to the fuse block. The brown striped went to the regulator. If the brown to the regulator gets 12 volts, in the ACC position, the GEN light goes on.

May not be the correct way to fix it but try moving the one brown striped wire from the ACC to the IGN terminal on the switch. Real problem has something to do with the way the fuse box is wired. It's set up a little different than the original. I believe orange and brown tie together in later models.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech

I have the same problem with my 67. The gen light stays on at idle but as soon as I get on the gas it goes away. It has the original wiring harness and I've also replaced the voltage regulator, ignition switch, alternator. I have no clue when it comes to electrical so I don't know what it could be.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shadow53:
I have the same problem with my 67. The gen light stays on at idle but as soon as I get on the gas it goes away. It has the original wiring harness and I've also replaced the voltage regulator, ignition switch, alternator. I have no clue when it comes to electrical so I don't know what it could be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
His problem is different. The GEN light can't come on the the RUN position. Just like not having a light.
If your idle is high enough, chances are it's the regulator. Adjusting it would help but try this. Stick in a Wells VR715 solid state regulator. Available from AutoZone for $11.00. Drop in replacement.
Disconnect the battery when installing. Be sure to ground its case to the core support. Either use a grounding wire or ground one of its mounting feet to the core support with a screw and nut.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 05:34 PM

shadow check the ground on you reg that's where my problem was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode